• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Does AMD X2 CPU's need XP Pro

Associate
I have just this second installed my lovely new AMD X2 4600+ processor. Very pleased but I was talking to a friend who says that Windows XP Home does not offer full dual core support could somebody please tell me weather this is true or not!

Thanks

R

Associate
operating system support. Many operating systems (such as Windows XP Home) are not SMP capable and will not make use of the second physical processor.

Soldato
So when i install XP Home SP2 on Pentium D and Athlon X2 client machines and i get usage histories in 2 windows and run 2 instances or prime95 etc.. i'm imagining things? :D I think the rule is 2 actual physical cpus, not dual core.

Associate
OP
Justintime said:
So when i install XP Home SP2 on Pentium D and Athlon X2 client machines and i get usage histories in 2 windows and run 2 instances or prime95 etc.. i'm imagining things? :D I think the rule is 2 actual physical cpus, not dual core.

Sorry I'm being a little dumb here. Windows XP home does not support dual core? Should I upgrade to XP Pro? Confuzzled!

Soldato
Mud said:
It supports dual cores on a single die, but not separate cores...I think!

Don't confuse Cores with Processors.

WinXP Professional supports dual-CPU whereas WinXP Home doesn't.
However WinXP Home does support dual cores.
When the quad-core CPU's are released next year WinXP Home will support a single processor with 4 cores.

Associate
what about when amd release 4x4.....will they do a update for winxp home 2 support 2 physical processors or expect your to splash more of your hard earned cash on xp pro or vista! ....saying that you will prob need vista to take advantage of all the cores or did i read somewhere vista's support for multiple multicores was not upto scratch!

Soldato
No, 4x4 will require a minimum of XP Pro to support dual 'sockets'. XP Home on the other hand already supports QuadCore, by the virtue that it already supports the Pentium 965EE. I highly doubt that M$ will change that, it cant give its 'Pro' product to home 'Enthusiasts' and still justify the higher price of XP Pro to commercial users.

You dont even 'need' SP2 on XP home to support multicore processors, it works even with the original (pre SP1) release, but SP2 includes some pretty major bug fixes, so I wouldnt suggest anyone running the original release of XP without patching up :)

Back
Top Bottom