Football manager 06

Soldato
I started a Lyon game. Got to the champions league final in the first season + the league title + the cup then got bored. So i started another game with Portsmouth. Spent huge sums of money(£45m) on players in the first season, managed to get relegated(lol), but in the next season, won the championship with those players and now im back in the prem and im bored now.

I can't seem to play a game for very long without getting bored. The longest game i probably played was when i first got FM when it came out. Started as Livingston in the SPL, avoided relegation narowly in the first season, got into a UEFA Cup spot in the second season and won the league cup and the league in the 3rd season. Then i went to roma and got bored.

Does this happen to anyone else? Someone recommend me a team to play with(maybe not in england) which will actually last me at least 4 seasons and will be fun?

Soldato
Well, its 03/04 but me and my mate are on our 3rd game of 10+ seasons now since it came out.

Start with a conference side, preferably a bad one. (No lower as no players would sign easily.) Then take them to winning the Prem, FA, League and Champions League.

Done it with Farnborough, Aldershot, Acrington and three teams just a season away from winning the champions league.

The lower you start the better, and also use player masking to keep it slightly more fresh.

Associate
Found my hard drive for my Amiga the other day so booted it up and loaded my Champ Man 93 games that was 40 odd seasons in :D

As for Footy Manager; got a game going with my mates on 05 which is now into tenth season. And got two games going on 06. One where I started with Boro but won the league after only one season. Applied for the WBA job and also added a manager as Portsmouth who had just gotten relegated.

Another game is me managing in India :D

Soldato
If you want longevity you've got to go with something that presents a challenge. It get boring for you because you have achieved everything there is too achieve. Go for Yewen's lower league approach you might want to start with a second or thid div team as the conference can be pretty hardcore and a shock to the system as you have to get used to fielding some pretty shocking players!

Another alternate approach is to go for a league you know nothing about managing in brazil can be interesting once you work out which competition is which etc allthough it gets a bit annoying when all your players want to shoot off to Barcelona. The smaller Euopean leagues like holand and beligum offer a nice challenge with the prospect of facing the big boys in the Euro cups.

Associate
One of the best bets is to stay away from the 'sure thing' youth players out there. There's a couple that can make your game a little easy at times.

Or you can take the ulitmate challenge & try and sell Keiron Dyer from Newcastle. Nobody wants him, and he wont go without a 10mill payoff!

Soldato
I'm still on the first game I started on FM06, as Stevenage Borough :o. The only time I ever get bored of the game is when I start losing actually, and I went through a bad patch with them at one point and stopped playing for a good few months. Resumed it again recently, more determined to accept bad results, and I'm quite enjoying it again. Got them promoted up through three divisions in as many years (first in conference and league two, second in league one), but it's not all been plain sailing. Really, all the advantage I have now came from two things in my first season. Managing to sell my best striker for 400k and not suffer too badly, and getting an FA Cup draw against ManU that netted me close to half a mil. Lost 7-0 mind, but it was worth it. :p

Yeah, try starting with a lower league club, or someone particularly cash-strapped. It's a lot more of a challenge then.

Associate
I also get bored 2-3 seasons in. But l always play top teams in EPL or La Liga :rolleyes:

Hmm lower leagues for me I think. Although i may force Zidane to join Bristol City :p

Soldato
He would not, as a lower league club even in the premiership its nigh on impossible in 03/04 and 06 to sign the big names.

You need to have about six seasons top flight before they consider you a real prospect, so its all signing people nobody has heard of but then leads you to a season where the worst result was a 0-0 draw twice against you mate, who also had the same results then you lose the title on 2 goal difference. :(

Yes I am a champ man geek, and yes in 03/04 I can sign a squad for 10k that can win the premiership and then champ league in the second season. :p

Soldato
That's just it too though. When playing as a lower league team none of those amazing wonderkids you read about want to come to you, so you're forced to do your own searching, and repeating it every time you go up a division. I've restructured my side so many times over the 'years' I'm suprised I still even have players left from the original squad (just two I think). First season I was signing the couple of players my meagre budget could afford and that was it, then I had to sell and release a ton of players next summer to keep the wage bill down enough to sign a few quality players, then it was chop and change again in league one, and come the Championship I've finally started building the squad back up and getting good youth players in. Now I think I'll need a few years getting some money in (we're secure, but pretty poor by Champ standards), and improving the stadium, before I can really move up to the Prem and provide any challenge.

That said, I've just beaten Blackburn 4-0 in the league cup, after struggling to beat a conference team in the first round too. Get in! :D

Associate
I now have 2 saves where I've been with the team for 7+ seasons, one wiht Bayern Munich and one with Inter.

It is still a challenge because other teams are always improving their teams.

Soldato
Also, why don't you try moving on to other clubs within the same game? I don't get why more people don't do this. I do and it's fairly fun, plus it stops you relying on the same old players each new game.

Permabanned
my longest is with boro 12 seasons in now, and im the big club in the EPL :p

but other games im recently starting apart from one with hearts (4 seasons in) and hartlepool (5 in andjust been relegated from EPL) i get very bored after a season

Associate
Weebull said:
Also, why don't you try moving on to other clubs within the same game? I don't get why more people don't do this. I do and it's fairly fun, plus it stops you relying on the same old players each new game.

Yeah good idea; maybe trying to manage an international team for a few years as well.

Soldato
The only game I have played in FM06 is with Chelsea when i first got it as Im a Chelsea fan. I have won everything, won the European Cup with Portugal and now England manager, thinking that as I have this week off I might start a new game with a lower league side abroad as someone else mentioned.

Soldato
Try playing as Torquay :mad:
Chairman refuses to increase wage budget to reasonable (Championship) levels, even though there's over 3 million in the bank. Ditto the transfer budget. Add to that there's a bug which means they are always drawn against Plymouth in the 1st round of the league cup (Tested with every patch, both PC & Mac) and you can probably see why it irritates me sometimes :p

-Leezer-

daz

daz

Soldato
I'm in 2025/26, after a 20 year period pf domestic domination Ipswich Town, I took up the challenge of Bradford City in League 1. Two promotions later in as many seasons and we're in the Premiership, and in our first season we finished 4th, to qualify for the Champions League. This season I'm in 1st place, 10 points clear of Liverpool with 8 games to go. We're in the Champions League quarter finals, and I've already won the League Cup back in February. On a wage bill of 300K/week, it's not bad. :o

The stadium was only 21,000 capacity up until December of this season, they've finished the expansion to make it ~30,000 but we still have the lowest average attendance in the Premiership. :o

Associate
I've recently got back into my FM06... With FM07 coming out at christmas i wanted to get back upto speed with it all and hopefully when FM07 comes out i wont be a complete noob again.

My main game which has been going on for 8 seasons has seen me at 3 different clubs Spurs/Inter/Villarreal. I've won everything at every club although it usually happens in the second season.

I find that changing clubs ever 2-3 seasons keeps the enjoyment factor going. You do tend to take your best players with you along the journey but will always find someone new at each club.

Im in my 3rd season with Villarreal and cant get a Job for sh!t anywhere even though i have the best reputation in the world. I've got France and Germany leagues active so i wouldnt mind making a visit there at some point.

Back
Top Bottom