Photo Clean-up help

Associate
Hi Guys,

I am looking for a bit of a favour. I have got a hi resolution scan of an image which I need cleaning up. I have tried to clean it up myself but I am not very good with the whole deal and I end up loosing far too much detail. I am planning to get the image printed professionally at a large size as it is very important to me.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to clean away the speckles, fingerprints and the weird optical distortion on the right hand side...

Here is a little version of the file, maybe she will inspire you to lend me a hand! :)
examplevk2.jpg

The actual image is saved as a raw bitmap at 12mb and can be downloaded from here.

I would be so grateful for any help that anyone can give me here.

Neo

Associate
OP
Thanks guys those look much better! I wish I was able to do it myself, i just seem to make it look rubbish every time! I'm so grateful!!!!!!

Just out of curiosity, what program did you use and what kinda techniques were employed?

She will be pleased too.

-TA- said:
who owns the copyright??

I do - Unfortunately my negatives were destroyed. The prints were ok, but I needed to copy them properly to get 'digital' negatives as it were.

Neo

Last edited:
Associate
I'll have a go at it for you.

(Sorry - guys, but the ones above have either got loads of white dust specs still, or fairly dreadful JPEG artifacts, both of which would show up when printed)

Associate
Right, I've run it through the following basic process:

- NeatImage
- Polaroid Dust & Scratch removal
- Manual touch-up of remaining dust etc. in Photoshop
- Little bit of Unsharp Mask to sharpen it up

neopic_final_small.jpg

The only other thing which I wan't sure about is the yellow/blue colouring on the strap of the *ahem* negligee. I think it's probably a colour-fringing artifact from the scanning process. I've toned down the yellow a little to make it less noticable, and it probably won't stand out too much on a printed version, but if you want me to have another go at cleaning that up a bit more then let me know. There's also a little bit of the same on the necklace, but even less noticable.

Full res versions here:

TIFF

BMP

*edit* Pretty lady BTW :)

A5H

A5H

Permabanned
I used neatimage and PS CS2.
I think the above one needs the background brushing out tbh.
I'm fairly sure a lot of that would show up when printing...

Associate
Ooh - I completely missed those earlier. I get a lot of sun into my study during the day and I guess I just couldn't see them. :eek:

I'll have a go at sorting those out.

Associate
OP
Skeltor,

I cannot thank you enough. By the looks of this thread you have put some real effort into this and I am so very grateful. Thank you so much. If there is anything that I can do for you in return then please let me know, altho my skills are somewhat limited!

Thank you all for your help!!!!!

:D :D :D :D

I will ask Sarah to thank all of the people in this thread too as it is her photo. I should take this opportunity to boast a little bit as she is my beautiful girlfriend!!!

Neo

Associate
NeoNemesis said:
Skeltor,

I cannot thank you enough. By the looks of this thread you have put some real effort into this and I am so very grateful. Thank you so much. If there is anything that I can do for you in return then please let me know, altho my skills are somewhat limited!

Thank you all for your help!!!!!

I will ask Sarah to thank all of the people in this thread too as it is her photo. I should take this opportunity to boast a little bit as she is my beautiful girlfriend!!!

Neo

No problem - I enjoy 'tinkering' with photo restoration. Having such appealing subject matter helps too - you lucky guy ;) :D

Back
Top Bottom