Computer won't run without internet!

Associate
I've tried many other forums so far and am praying you guys can figure this out;

To put it simply, if I turn my computer on without the broadband internet turned on too, it will give a 'the system has recovered from a serious error message' and it won't go away, however much you click 'send' or 'dont send'.

Even if you DO turn it on, it will crash once or twice within the first minute of being on, then be stable after that. See the other thread on it here;

http://www.tech-forums.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115554

I tried swapping RAM and it made no difference at all. I tried looking in the event viewer and I think this is the error it's showing:

'Error code 100000d1, parameter1 52fc8625, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 ec39ba50.'

Please can anyone give advice?? I am due to move house in afew days where there won't be internet so I have to get this working. Thanks.

Associate
OP
Also, I've just tested booting in safe mode, then when you boot back in normal mode, it won't come up with the error. That is until you turn the internet connection on, when it will blue screen and restart, then you're back to normal, with the error coming up when there is no internet connection. This seems to be consistent as I've tried it afew times, what it means, I have no idea.

Soldato
Is you modem a USB modem, when it is not turned on (modem) is it still plugged into the USB port...

Check for newer drivers or try another port, also try booting without the modem plugged in at all.

Associate
OP
The network card is built in to the motherboard, and all the drivers come in one installation on the CD with the motherboard, I've no idea which or how many drivers it installs so I couldn't uninstall them first. But I tried installing them back over the current ones which was a bad move as it just made duplicates of them all which then stopped working, a system restore fixed that but now I'm back to where I am.

The motherboard is an Abit uGuru AN8 Ultra if that helps, or anyone knows where to find the specific network card driver (I've looked on the site and couldn't find).

Associate
OP
The modem is network cables that go into the network card, not USB. And when you boot without it plugged in OR turned on, you get the unremovable 'system has recovered from a serious error' message. Where I will be moving will be internet through USB, so I obviously won't even be able to install the software, as I will just get the error before I get the chance to do anything.

The absolute best workaround I can think is booting in safe mode, then in normal, then moving it to the new house while it's not giving the error, then see if it ever comes back. Though I'm sure as soon as I connect over there it would.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It seems people can't give anymore advice. So does anyone know where I could find the specific driver for the network card of my motherboard, for me to try and reinstall it? Because as I said earlier, the driver CD is bundled for ALL motherboard drivers and it doesn't appear you can do it individually. The motherboard is; Abit uGuru AN8 Ultra. Thanks.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the link, it seems to be the latest version of the CD that came with it. But my confusion is which do I need to install at this point;

untitled1tc2.jpg

...but before doing that, which drivers will I need to uninstall, that the installation will re-install. Hopefully this will all be over if I can get that done, thanks for peoples replys.

Permabanned
Install all of them.

They will update your current drivers.

Sounds like your windows registry/install is corrupt. Have you performed a System Restore to before your problem started happening. Hopefully this will solve your issue.

Personally with something like this, I would backup all my data and do a fresh install. Do you have ASR (Automated system restore)? If you do (im not sure if its on XP Home, I think you can still download it...), then once you have reinstalled Windows, install all the drivers and necessary apps (Like nero, but not games or office) you can save a snapshot of your sysem. You will need a blank floppy. Then if you ever need to reinstall windows again you can run ASR from the windows boot disk and you have a fully working windows install at the end of it.

Associate
OP
Yeah I really should do that, and will when I next do a full reinstall. But I'd prefer not to have to, and would like to try this driver route first...BUT if you're saying to install all the drivers, which ones will I need to uninstall from device manager first?? As there will be quite afew and I really have no idea.

Associate
OP
I tried that, and was told it was a stupid thing to do. Which it seemed was the case. It created 2 of every driver, with most having the yellow question marks by them. Luckily I made a restore point before that so got it back to how it used to be.

I just need to know how to re-install all the drivers (or more specifically just the network card one) properly, however that needs to be done.

Permabanned
Ok, if you insist on uninstalling your network card drivers.

Naivagte the following.

Start> Control Panel> System> Hardware> Device Manager> Network Adapters>

You will then see in the navigation tree.

"Model name of your adapter" or "Unknown device"

If it says "unknown device", you dont need to uninstall your drivers are there arent any installed.

Right click on "model name of your adapter", uninstall drivers.

This will then uninstall the drivers for your adapter.

You will need to reset your machine. You will find that 9 times out 10, windows keeps a cache of your old drivers so when you reboot windows will search automatically and reinstall them. Pain in the backside.

Have you tried

Start> Control Panel> System> Hardware> Device Manager> Network Adapters> *Right Click* > Properties > Driver> Roll back driver

This takes your adapter driver back one. So if an updated drivers makes things worse, windows will revert to driver prior to the update. (remember I told you windows keeps a cache!!)

Anyway, it might be the case that yours is the 1 in 10 and windows doesnt automatically install the driver again. At this point you have got no drivers installed.

(However, update driver works just fine you know....)

Back
Top Bottom