Meh...New car can't decide

Soldato
Got a new job so want to treat myself to a new toy. Going to commute about 20 miles each way in it so 40 miles a day.

Got about 10k to spend max. I want something that wont depreciate tooo much and will be fairly reasonable on the juice.

Any suggestions?

So far been looking at A3s and 316/318s

Soldato
OP
Scuzi said:
BMW 330i. If I had £10k that's what I would buy.
Do you have any specific requirements?

Not really.... Just got this new job and haven't fully been told what my car allowance is yet. Based on previous experience it is normally a couple of hundred a month so I could either lease or cover a loan against something of around 10k.

In terms of requirements it must be reliable, economic and fit at least 2 people in. I have no kids so 2 seaters are an option :)

If I can get away with spending less than 10k then great as it means I can keep some cashola, hence the a3/ 316/ 318s I've looked at.

Soldato
330ci/530 sport

CTR/LCR Would be on my shortlist. 330ci at the top (not sure what 10k will get you with the coupe, but the saloon you'll get plenty) and 530i sport possibly top of the list.

Man of Honour
I just test drove a BMW 328Ci the other week there and was VERY impressed with it. It came with the sport kit and was quite well loaded, all for £8100.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ww...oad.asp?did=21096&pageid=2&id=200630243668396

The coupe is smaller in the back than the saloon but still a lot bigger than I expected so you can seat 4 adults in comfort. There are lots of these on autotrader so you have a lot to choose from. The 2.8 litre straight 6 was sublime, so smooth and so powerful...and the noise!

They're excellent cars for the money, I might be getting one when I get a few quid together.

Soldato
OP
Scuzi said:
I just test drove a BMW 328Ci the other week there and was VERY impressed with it. It came with the sport kit and was quite well loaded, all for £8100.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ww...oad.asp?did=21096&pageid=2&id=200630243668396

The coupe is smaller in the back than the saloon but still a lot bigger than I expected so you can seat 4 adults in comfort. There are lots of these on autotrader so you have a lot to choose from. The 2.8 litre straight 6 was sublime, so smooth and so powerful...and the noise!

They're excellent cars for the money, I might be getting one when I get a few quid together.

That looks gorgeous. Just been told by the missus that if I spend 10k on a car while we are looking to buy a flat she will put me on rations ;)

Soooooooo have downsized a lil and may go and take a look at this later... what do you guys think?

BMW 318 ti Sport, towards the bottom on this page

http://www.banksmotorco.com/viewstocklist.asp?user=

Soldato
The 3-series compact was never really a good car, and that older shape in particular is based on the old 3-series, released a few generations ago. I wouldn't go for it :)

Have you considered an MG ZT? They're very cheap now and they're great cars - about the best car MG Rover has made for years! £6k would get you a rather nice one

Man of Honour
For god sake don't buy a 3 series compact! Please don't buy it, you can get so much more for your money. It's a crappy chav E36 one too which is even worse. If you really must go lower down the budget try to find an E46 320i SE. It has the 6 cylinder engine as opposed to the 318i's 4 cylinder. You can pick them up for well within your budget too. The 3 series compacts are dire compared to the saloon, don't waste your money on one.

If you MUST have a 318, get an E46 and go for the later version with ~150bhp. It's better than the earlier version which have around 115bhp IIRC (not 100% on those figures).

Seriously, get a 320i SE saloon or greater, you can easily get one for the money and they're so much better.

If you want to spend under 5 grand go for an E46 318i SE. My mum bought a '99 one recently and it's a very tidy car. So much better than the E46 compact and it isn't even worth comparing to an E36.

Last edited:
Soldato
ajgoodfellow said:
Have you considered an MG ZT? They're very cheap now and they're great cars - about the best car MG Rover has made for years! £6k would get you a rather nice one

Good idea actually. If you're worried about it breaking, just get the MG ZT CDTi with the 2 litre BMW diesel engine.

Soldato
OP
Went and looked at the compact last night. Actually quite liked it, haven't had a drive of it just yet as the shop was shut.

All the other BMs i've looked at around the 6k mark have been to the moon milage wise and I thought the 44k on the compact was quite reasonable miles given its age...

Any other suggestions for 5-6k tho?

Permabanned
A lot of people seem to flush over the 320i / Ci. This car is by no means a slouch! 2.2 straight 6 with 170bhp and quite tunable!

Worth a look if your budget is not as high as you'd like! You'll get a newer(ish) model with less mileage than an equivalent 328/330 and the spec will be very very similar.

Permabanned
Youstolemyname said:
Hmm...a colleague just recommended a Ford Puma to me. The thunder edition seems nicely specced and it would be hella cheaper to run than the BM...

Decisions decisions...

Its also a lady boys car, but ok!

Soldato
Youstolemyname said:
N
In terms of requirements it must be reliable, economic and fit at least 2 people in. I have no kids so 2 seaters are an option :)

You will be doing 10K miles a year just for commuting. Plus an average 5K for going out. If it was me, I'd get the 330d. :) However, if your work place can cover it, 330i :)

Man of Honour
Noxis said:

Youstolemyname said:
Just been told by the missus that if I spend 10k on a car while we are looking to buy a flat she will put me on rations

I think he wants to spend a bit less now. I get the impression that he's made up his mind already and wants to buy that monstrosity of a BMW E36 3 series Compact.

E46 320i with 100k miles > E36 Compact with 40k miles. Seriously.

Suspended
Youstolemyname said:
Way out of budget im afraid. Got about 6k now due to the missus stickin her oar in :(

Ack... damn women. I just convinced mine to contribute £100 per month then I get to decide what to buy and how much I want to pay :)

For 6k its not worth looking at BMW's imo. Although a E46 318i *might* be doable, although they are 4pot so not as smooth.

MX5? :p

Man of Honour
Noxis said:
Ack... damn women. I just convinced mine to contribute £100 per month then I get to decide what to buy and how much I want to pay :)

For 6k its not worth looking at BMW's imo. Although a E46 318i *might* be doable, although they are 4pot so not as smooth.

MX5? :p

An E46 318i SE is easily doable for £6k. There's loads to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom