Limiting bandwidth

Associate
I just received a Livebox from Orange broadband and everything is fine. The thing is thou my flatmate wants to connect wirelesly to it (which is easy), but he has some nasty extremely-heavy-download habbit. How can I limit his bandwidht so I can have the most of it?

Livebox itself doesn't give me this option, but I know it's possible with a help of some program.

Does someone knows how to do that?

Permabanned
The program would have the be on his machine. Not yours. Since he is into downloading he would just disabled it anyway.

Just block him. Enable wireless protection on your router. You only have a 2gig limit on Orange.

Permabanned
Are you sure its unlimited. A quick scan on the orange website states its 2gig, and thats if you pay for it as well!!

http://www.orange.co.uk/time/broadb...&link=link_1&article=membercentre8megpagebox2

Of course you may have been offered this, but its worthwhile checking your contract... Its always good to have it black n white.

Anyway, there is no way you can limit his bandwidth without additional hardware or without software on your friends computer.

Does your router have any firewall facilities, as you could block all the ports other than port 80, and a few others (such as SMTP, etc) for wireless. Thus enabling your friend to browse the web whilst blocking torrents, etc. (There is ways around this, depends how clued up your friend is).

I guess depends how much your trust your friend, and how much it would affect your friendship if you denied him access....

Man of Honour
i know you can do it with a netscreen 5GT wireless (and even the wired version, just plug an access point in) but i suspect cheap consumer kit won't do it.

it's quite complex and even at the high end there are quirky things about limiting bandwidth (riverstone rate shaping is particularly weird). First up, is he paying for it, if not then just block the ports, if he is then tell him that he's using the connection too much and he needs to stop it or get his own, easier than spending ££ on technical solutions

Associate
OP
It's done. I blocked the ports but port 80 (how you said) and it works. At least for now.

But then raises another question.
I couldn't connect my laptop wirelessly using ASuS usb dongle when the security option was set on "WPA or WEP security" but when I changed router settings to "WEP security only" it works just fine. Is this secure enough from other people in the range trying to acces "for free"?

Soldato
Crescent said:
I couldn't connect my laptop wirelessly using ASuS usb dongle when the security option was set on "WPA or WEP security" but when I changed router settings to "WEP security only" it works just fine. Is this secure enough from other people in the range trying to acces "for free"?

Not really. WEP keys can be cracked in minutes. It'll be enough to deter the casual wannabe hacker though but if someone really wanted to get onto your WEP secured network then they could do so pretty easily.

Anyway, what Asus dongle is it? What OS is the laptop running and with what Service Pack? When you had WPA security enabled did the wireless network screen (if Windows XP SP2) show the network as being WPA secured?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom