PDA Overclocking

Soldato
Hey all, just wanted to see if anyone has overclocked their PDA and noticed any long term effects?

I've just got Pocket Hack Master and i've set it to 597MHz (133Mhz Rambus, 265MHz board bus) and it's made a huge improvement!!! It was fast before but it's superb.

Just wondering if the usual implications apply? I'm sure it could go much more but I'm happy as it is!

It's the o2 XDA II's

thanks.

Soldato
ive thought about it on my XDA II but decided against it numerous times, because its waaaaaaaaaay out of warranty now lol and i do still use it a fair bit as just a pda, no phone stuff. but i dont need any extra speed for a bit of music, word, internet and the odd game

Soldato
OP
Yeah i'm using the scaling function at the moment anyway so it underclocks it or put's it in normal speed when not in use. Just wondering what kind of heat issues you would expect though as i presume PDA's have no active cooling.

It makes such a difference though. Tomtom is more fluent as is IE. Benchmark tests in MPG player went from 60% to 91% in fullscreen mode :eek:

Soldato
I've seen a few peeps overclock PDA's. I have a axim x50v and you can download some software (XCPUScaler) to do it. I wouldn't of thought it would make much difference. It does obviously create more heat and power consumption seems higher, meaning lower battery life. Also most PDA's have dynamic clocking similar to laptops.

I've seen peeps with the x50v @ 728MHz (limited by the software)

Not sure the reasons for overclocking a PDA tho, possibly get a few more fps on mplayer benchmark or something :confused:

I wouldn't of thought it would be worth it in the long run tho. Altho I guess it depends on how it effects the battery life etc and how long you have your pda unplugged.

A few american peeps posted that they overclocked their PDA's then few weeks later said they were overheating lol :) they even overheated when set back to normal settings hehe, RMA time for them.

Soldato
OP
Hmm, I know a few of the older intel chips have had issues..

The best thing is the increased bus and memory speeds. It made such a noticeable differece I have to say. It's not for benchmarks, but say for watching a movie it's much more fluent.

If I'm just browsing the web I will use it in normal mode (same speed but faster bus) and it's all good!

Back
Top Bottom