• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

San Diego 4000 voltage?

Soldato
I was reading about the San Diego 4000 today and am to understand it comes in 2 flavours, 1.3 - 1.4vcore stock and 1.5 stock.

Which ones are OCUK stocking?.........anyone know?

I'm considering giving myself a performance boost by swapping out my Venice 3200 for a San Diego 4000.

Of course with the intention of OC'ing.

I'm reading a lot of posts suggesting it'll hit 3.0 on air, so the lower vcore chips are going to obviously be better for this.

I have 2.5 on the venice pretty easily and she's been dead stable for a while now.

What do you guys think?...... switch to a 4000 San Diego for a boost or not so?

Soldato
OP
My venice runs quicker then my buddies 4000 clawhammer in all benchies we tried.

If the san diego is better then this i'll be happy.

I did some further reading, looks like stock is 2.4, not sure on vcore yet.

Curious as to wether it would be worth buying it since the venice runs quite nicely and on paper the san diego doesnt look much better at all.

Comments anyone?

Associate
The 4000sd's should clock up to 2.8-3.0gig with a bump on the vcore but as your 3200 is currently at 2.5 do you really need an upgrade??? The real world performance gains arent going to be huge so its hard to say if it would be worth it or not. Just depends if you really just want to say you've got a chip that does say 3.0gig or not.

Associate
t31os said:
Thats my point, if its not a considerable amount its a waste of money.

Thanx...

Think i'll leave it for now.

Thinking about it it's a hard one to call. Fair enough your 3200 is @ 2.5 but thats the equivilent to a 3700 or 4000 @ 2.3 due to the size of the cache. Now I did find a nice gain going from stock, 2.2, to 2.8 that i'm at now, so if you can get 3gig out of the 4000 then that would be quite a step up.
For a quick test run super pi on your pc and see what you get. At stock I think I got around 36/37 seconds, at 3gig i can do it in 29secs so you can see the difference from that.
Sorry to confuse you more, just might be worth it after all.

Soldato
OP
Does 1M superpi in 37secs.

Think i'm quite happy with the venice, the other chips seem to be more hit and miss as to wether you get a good clocker. I'm still thinking about another cooler to, i brought the current one for silence more then anything then get excited about clocking and couldnt help myself. I think i push this one some more though, its only ever been the ram that held it back.

Buy myself a nice widescreen 19" instead i think.

I'd tell you more but i'm buying from a competitor.

Associate
Pretty sure the oem 4000+ chips are all San Diego. Mine certainly was.

Got it running at 3GHz and my SuperPI 1M time is 33secs if that's any use to you t31os.

Associate
Reality|Bites said:
These Oem 4000+ cpus do seem to run hotter than my old 3700+, At 1.45v i'm running hotter than I was with 1.6v running through my 3700+

Just a thought but maybe you havn't re-seated the cooler as good as you did on your 3700???

Soldato
i think they do run a bit on the warm side, my 4000 from the same batch idles at 37-38 and is 47-50 under load (1.45v). My pc is in the hottest room in the house tho :(

Associate
JeffyB said:
i think they do run a bit on the warm side, my 4000 from the same batch idles at 37-38 and is 47-50 under load (1.45v). My pc is in the hottest room in the house tho :(
Exactly the same as my 4000 (@ 3GHz, 1.45v).

Back
Top Bottom