205/40/17 Tyres - Price?

Soldato
I've just purchased a set of 17" alloys for the Astra rather cheap, and was wondering what sort of tyres to look for?

I'm not a non-branded budget man, but i do and have used brands such as Federal, Nankang etc etc.

I've been pricing up a set of 4 new tyres (hate replacing pairs) and the current ones are Falken, and i'm not a fan!

I've done some hunting and sources 4x Nankang NS-II for £36.25 each, making it just under £155 including delivery. I have a friend that is a tyre-fitter so thats not a challenge.

Does that sound like a good deal?

Phil

Man of Honour
Spend a bit extra and go for Toyo T1-R's. They have excellent performance in the wet and dry and the only tyre I know to outperform them (not by much though) is the Goodyear Eagle F1's but they're quite pricey.

Check out www.mytyres.co.uk

£36 17" tyres are going to be crap. You get what you pay for.

Soldato
OP
These are what are currently on it, £43 a corner.

FKZE512.jpg

Only thing that appeals to me about these tyres is the sloped sidewall, looks awesome.

Man of Honour
Phil W said:

http://www.rtecshop.com/product_images/Tyres/FKZE512.jpg[IMG]

Only thing that appeals to me about these tyres is the sloped sidewall, looks awesome.[/QUOTE]

I'd be more worried about performance than looks when it comes to buying tyres :/ They're the only thing holding your car to the road, it's not worth skimping on them. The difference bwtween good and bad tyres can be shocking. Spending a few quid more on tyres might save you an accident because you stop 10feet sooner for example.

Something to think about.

Permabanned
I paid £52 a corner for some yoko a539`s from a place called jeffries tyres in bromsgrove (west midlands) and thats the cheapest fitted tyres i came across in that size.

Associate
Phil W said:

snip

Only thing that appeals to me about these tyres is the sloped sidewall, looks awesome.

If you are bothered about looks and performance the Goodyear Eagle F1s are a good choice. Got 4 fitted to my car few months ago and the level of grip in wet and dry is brilliant. (Funky tread pattern too :cool: )

Soldato
OP
Nothing wrong with wanting the tyres to look as good as they perform!

Managed to find a pair of tyres that were originally of a set of 4 that a friend and written the two front wheels off, rears had almost full tread on so haved them changed over today.

Well, here's the new wheels :)

Astra.jpg

Astra2.jpg

Astra3.jpg

Check out the new shocks and springs!

Drums are going to be re-painted black i think and hopefully will have 2.0 brakes upfront soon!

Associate
[TW]Fox said:
I can't imagine 17" tyres that cost less than a decent set of 14" tyres being anything other than awful.

The nankangs are very good for the price. I've always avoided cheap tyres in the past but modern v rated cheapies do seem ok. I still wouldn't use a less than v rated cheapy though.

Man of Honour
Phil W said:
Drums are going to be re-painted black i think and hopefully will have 2.0 brakes upfront soon!

Can I ask why you are putting so much effort into a car which you admitted yourself several months ago was simply a cheap shed to get from A to B?

If you want a decent modding project, and of course I see no reason why you shouldn't, why on earth are you using a bottom of the range, godawful Astra 1.4 Merit? You said yourself the only reason you put up with it was becuase it was cheap, it's hardly cheap if you start fitting pointless wheels and bigger brakes to it.

Wheels don't suit the car at all, make it simply look like the sort of thing you'd expect to see down McDonalds on a Friday night driven by somebody with priorities all mixed up - black plastic bumpers, 1.4 litre 75bhp engine.. huge big wheels. Great.

That car is the perfect bangernomics vehicle for totally cheap, no money transport. But the minute you start actually caring about it it becomes totally pointless..

Back
Top Bottom