Does thermal compound make all the difference?

Soldato
simply as the title asks - does thermal compount make all the difference?

I only ask because today i installed a new heatsink - Akasa Evo 33 but not with the original fan and i took the thermal compound off as it was dirty and dried up. I was going to reapply new thermal compound until i came to find that I had used all of mine :(.

I've put it on and temps have dropped 2oc but would thermal compound help make more of a difference?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes.
That's the entire point of Thermal compound.
Helps transfer the heat to the heatsink as right now, contact between your CPU and Heatsink is not 100% flat, airpockets (be them tiny) will not help your temps at all.

Also don't forget most compounds take many hours to 'cure' and be more effective. We're talking 200ish.

Last edited:

img

img

Associate
also putting too much on will make temps worse. its there to fill in the tiny gaps you cant see between the surfaces

Soldato
if your a pro with machines then any sort of thermal compound will do the trick. i find that noobs that are new to overclocking will go out and buy stuff like as5 for a 0.2c drop in temps.

thermal compound is not the be all to cpu cooling. why pay a fiver for a tube when you can put that cash towards a better cpu cooler which will provide a far better end result.

Soldato
OP
thats a fair point Cyber-Mav, i havent spent a lot on the thermal paste just £2 and i know not to put a lot on as it.

just applied some and temps have dropped 4oc, nothing major.

I expect to be looking for a new cpu cooler in about a month, any suggestions as of what to get, look at my sig for the sort of system specs.

Back
Top Bottom