Will Physics Cards be requirement for Crysis

Associate
Title says it all really. Crysis is boasting huge physics detail, all bushes in jungle moving about, collapsing trees then throw explosions into all that and you have some pretty hefty physics, so I wondered if anyone knew of the requirements Crysis will have to run at full pace. I'm currently building a beast of a PC but a bit unsure about Physics cards and Crysis is one of the games I want to really get the full experience from.

Mud

Mud

Soldato
Severely doubt it...it'd cull most of their potential customers, and the physics cards have been naff so far anyhow.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Joystiq have the specs up apparently from one of the developers off the crysis forum (not official so...): from the site.

Minimum Requirements:

CPU: Athlon 64 3000+/Intel 2.8ghz
Graphics: Nvidia 6600/X800GTO (SM 2.0)
RAM: 768Mb/1Gb on Windows Vista
HDD: 6GB
Internet: 256k+
Optical Drive: DVD
Software: DX9.0c with Windows XP

Recommended Requirements:

CPU: Dual-core CPU (Athlon X2/Pentium D)
Graphics: Nvidia 7800GTX/ATI X1800XT (SM 3.0) or DX10 equivalent
RAM: 1.5Gb
HDD: 6GB
Internet: 512k+ (128k+ upstream)
Optical Drive: DVD
Software: DX10 with Windows Vista

Soldato
sup3rc0w said:
How would anyone know if they havent said anything about it yet ?

I know that they have been asked that.

Their answer was no. They are not supporting the physics cards.

And those specs released are not official. (as you say)

Soldato
From what I Understand from various videos and interviews with the developers its totally software physics, although highly advanced physics and has been optimised to run on dual cores, 1 core running 'the game' one running the physics. I dare say I bet you will not be able to run 'maxed out' physics on a single core pc, just high detail physics or something, this course is all my personal opinion

Soldato
sup3rc0w said:
How would anyone know if they havent said anything about it yet ?

Because they are not going to make a game which "needs" one. Unless they really only want to sell a multimillion pound game to about 10 people. :)

Soldato
IIRC they have their own physics engine for the game which is probably an advanced version of the one from farcry (at a guess). No requirement for a physics card no.

I am also assuming crysis will be heavily optimized for dual core pcs.

Soldato
gord said:
You do know that we havnt always had dedicated graphics cards in Pcs.

No of course I don't, I thought it was just magic that displayed everything on the screen. Any computer has always had some kind of graphics card.
Not sure what your getting at. The op asked if physics cards are a requirement for crysis. I've not mentioned standard graphics cards!

Last edited:
Associate
gord said:
You do know that we havnt always had dedicated graphics cards in Pcs.

I think games have come quite a long way since dedicated 3D accelerators first came into the market. Besides I dont think the physics are that advanced in Crysis.

Soldato
modo77 said:
No of course I don't, I thought it was just magic that displayed everything on the screen. Any computer has always had some kind of graphics card.
Not sure what your getting at. The op asked if physics cards are a requirement for crysis. I've not mentioned standard graphics cards!

Sorry i have been a bit cryptic. I know were talking about physics cards but imagine back to when 3d cards first came out.

modo77 said:
Because they are not going to make a game which "needs" one. Unless they really only want to sell a multimillion pound game to about 10 people. :)

Games back then didnt need a dedicated GPU so why did it take off? because the industry utilised the technology and it became a standard. I can see the same happening with physics processors if multiple core central processors dont take their market.

skullman said:
I think games have come quite a long way since dedicated 3D accelerators first came into the market. Besides I dont think the physics are that advanced in Crysis.

And in the future you can say games have come a long way since the introduction of the physics card. And i dont want to rain on your parade about the crysis physics.. but i think they are going to be unbelievable.. i mean you can destroy the forest.

Soldato
Well it's way too early to make games that require a physics card. Early 3D hardware accelerated games didn't require one, they also had a software renderer. Personally I think Havok's GPU based solution is more likely to catch on than dedicated physics cards. The way I understand Havok's method means you have a second graphics card that will actually be resposible for physics calculations. That way there will be a wider range of cards available for physics, plus there might be a way of using both for graphics if the game doesn't need physics acceleration.

Soldato
The need for graphics acceleration back in the 3dfx voodoo days was far greater than physics acceleration is today. Physics in games is stilly fairly superficial in games and doesn't really stress modern games too much. Dual/multicore CPUs and GPUs are really the way forward.

Associate
gord said:
And in the future you can say games have come a long way since the introduction of the physics card. And i dont want to rain on your parade about the crysis physics.. but i think they are going to be unbelievable.. i mean you can destroy the forest.

Yeah it certainly looks impressive...cutting down trees etc.....thats not been done before, and its good to see they are actually putting the physics to use, but technically its still not complex enough to require a physics card. If its optimized properly, a dual core or even probably a single core cpu could handle it comfortably.

Back
Top Bottom