• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Question, about geforce 6800gt

Associate
I have just bought 1 from the mm, I have built my new system when I power on the first bios screen it has artifacts then goes into install and has some different coloured squares, Would this be down to my psu the 12 volt in bios shows it as 11.7*** and amps is not very high... Any help appreciated ty... :(

Soldato
Sounds like the memory on the card is dead to me but try unplugging anything that isnt needed from the PSU (optical drives, extra HDs, fans, lights etc.) and see if it ok then.

Associate
OP
When I have all plugged in computer will not even start not a fan nothing take all but h/d and graphics card and it starts up but with artifacts not much just a couple... think it may be psu ?

Soldato
I sold this card to Wayne (have just been in touch via email about this) and it had been working flawlessly in my machine for well over a year prior to sending it. I find it very hard to believe that the memory on the card has been damaged in transit twixt here and there so I'm also wondering about the PSU, as Wayne suggests. I second the question on what PSU brand and power rating is being used.

EDIT: This may be a stupid question but you have connected the four-pin molex power connector on the card to the power supply haven't you, and a separate one at that, i.e. not one which also has cables going to hard or optical drives?

Associate
OP
System should be this,,
Pentium p4 3.0 ghz running stock
Schythe Ninja with 120 mm fan
1 h/d @ 120 gb ide
1 floppy drive
2 dvd drives 1 is a light scribe
fan controller
1 x 12 inch cold cathode
4 tiny led's that were in the case at the corners
1 gb ram pc3200 = @ 200mhz
pci 5 port usb card
audigy sound card..
with all this plugged in it won't even power on a fan take all but h/d and graphics out it powers on with a couple of artifacts...

usb 6 units which are
logitech g15 k/b
web cam
trust laser mouse
card reader
head phones uses usb for power
printer

psu is generic 650 watt don't know amps was told it would work from the shop i bought it from on a well known auction site..HELP lol.. :(

Last edited:
Soldato
wnm0 said:
psu is generic 650 watt don't know amps was told it would work from the shop i bought it from on a well known auction site..HELP lol.. :(

Ah, generic... fun

Is it made by ColorsIt? And can you see what it says on the sticker

Soldato
i sold my 6800gt on the MM a few months ago. it had been working flawlessly for months and i packaged it well when i sent it off. yet when it turned up with the buyer, it was borked. luckily it was under guarantee (i included the receipt) and the buyer managed to sort out an rma, but it just goes to show what can happen to something in transit. :(

Soldato
marc2003 said:
i sold my 6800gt on the MM a few months ago. it had been working flawlessly for months and i packaged it well when i sent it off. yet when it turned up with the buyer, it was borked. luckily it was under guarantee (i included the receipt) and the buyer managed to sort out an rma, but it just goes to show what can happen to something in transit. :(
TBH, unless there's physical damage to the card, then the only other way it can possibly be damaged is by a static discharge. Unless the post office are testing EMP weapons in the broom cupboard I can't see any way a graphics card could be damaged this way unless it received a static shock whilst being handled at one end or the other.

As I've already told Wayne, if the PSU doesn't solve things then he's welcome to return the card to me for me to test. If it works fine for me then I'd return it at his cost, otherwise I'd refund it and try to claim off the post office, but frankly I doubt I'd get very far when there's no physical damage to the card.

Associate
OP
Vertigo1 said:
TBH, unless there's physical damage to the card, then the only other way it can possibly be damaged is by a static discharge. Unless the post office are testing EMP weapons in the broom cupboard I can't see any way a graphics card could be damaged this way unless it received a static shock whilst being handled at one end or the other.

As I've already told Wayne, if the PSU doesn't solve things then he's welcome to return the card to me for me to test. If it works fine for me then I'd return it at his cost, otherwise I'd refund it and try to claim off the post office, but frankly I doubt I'd get very far when there's no physical damage to the card.
Hi, don't worry Toby the card is ok, I think its down to psu i'm sure and if not I don't blame you, if it is memory damaged then it could have been me as much as you so I won't ask for a refund m8 i'll just take it on the chin and stay in bed for a week lol.
I will go pci-e if its the gpu and dual core so it would mean m/b gpu/ cpu/ memory and I think I would try and get the new Nvidea 7950 iirc..
Rgds, Wayne :eek: ;)

Associate
OP
marc2003 said:
Well this might just have happened to me, I have bought a hyper type R 580 watt and still the same, I have e-mailed Toby to ask if I can send it back and let him test it, see what happens, I was so excited to use it and try a benchmark lol now I am very unhappy... :( :( :(

Back
Top Bottom