• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD-INTEL WAR

Soldato
LOL,
Like many others I have been watching the new Conroe release, Now It maybe the motherboard shortages or suchlike but I would say AMD is outselling them 20:1
Now if I was AMD on their next release I would offer an Unlocked "enthusiasts" version, placed several up from the lower end of the range but reasonably priced,
These would sell like Hot cakes, due to the kudos even though 80% would never be overclocked...Then Bang! AMD is back where it was.

One thing is for sure is I think us Punters have gained rather than lost over the whole deal

Just my 2p worth

Soldato
Between enthusiasts the split was probably closer to 1:1, maybe 5:3 to AMD. But in the big markets, such as companies/schools/average users Intel would have been well ahead.

Also if AMD were to release an affordable FX chip (sempron FX? ;)) which is pretty much what youa re saying the only people who would be interested are the enthusiasts and overclockers etc. A very small market.

Caporegime
JAKUS said:
LOL,
Like many others I have been watching the new Conroe release, Now It maybe the motherboard shortages or suchlike but I would say AMD is outselling them 20:1

Quite frankly AMD have had to slash prices and IMO are in a bit of trouble with the conroe 6300 at around 130 quid.

when overclocked this cpu beats AMD's FX 62 for goodness sake!

lol

Associate
I think what the OP is driving at is that AMD have done better than many expected since the launch of Conroe due to their price cuts and the unavailability of most of the Conroe chips except to OEM suppliers. I never would have bought an X2 cpu if it wasn't for the price cuts and I'm sure there are many in the same boat.

However, AMD are still on the back foot atm and will have to do something more than just price cuts to get back the ground they still must be losing.

Don
Well no doubt they do, Conroe has just been released in very few numbers so it's no surprise that a product that is established and more importantly is freely available would outsell them.

Jokester

Soldato
OP
Raikiri said:
Between enthusiasts the split was probably closer to 1:1, maybe 5:3 to AMD. But in the big markets, such as companies/schools/average users Intel would have been well ahead.

Also if AMD were to release an affordable FX chip (sempron FX? ;)) which is pretty much what youa re saying the only people who would be interested are the enthusiasts and overclockers etc. A very small market.

Sure, Please take my Post in the context and forum it was posted in
Where's my Shovel :D

Soldato
OP
Doppleganger said:
I think what the OP is driving at is that AMD have done better than many expected since the launch of Conroe due to their price cuts and the unavailability of most of the Conroe chips except to OEM suppliers. I never would have bought an X2 cpu if it wasn't for the price cuts and I'm sure there are many in the same boat.

However, AMD are still on the back foot atm and will have to do something more than just price cuts to get back the ground they still must be losing.

Thank You :D

Soldato
JAKUS said:
Sure, Please take my Post in the context and forum it was posted in
Where's my Shovel :D

You didnt word your original post very well :p

But yes you are right they are outselling conroe by a fairly large margin due to the things people have mentioned. A lot of people have probably gone from a 3000+ to a 3700/4000 or from a higher end single core to an X2 because it was so much cheaper than building a whole new system.

img

img

Associate
for the price performance tables now with the price cuts amd is equel on a number of price points.

Associate
The price cuts to the 939 AMD's offer outstanding bang for the buck, to those with an existing 939 system.
The fact they're disappearing rapidly all over the web is testament to this.

With Conroe in such short supply, its no wonder some are taking advantage and just upgrading their 939 systems on the cheap instead of going for a complete platform change.

I'm looking forward to this time next year when E6600's will be two a penny and I can upgrade on the cheap again. :D

Associate
What worries me is why AMD think anyone would pay 550 pounds for a 939 fx60. I could build a whole conroe rig complete with an e6600 for less than that. I will bet you they will have to slash those prices to clear stock.

Associate
jokester i think you think your god and know everything. this guy has a good point and at the minute amd are still beating intel in sales whatever you blame it on. you quite obviously an intel fanboy, stop being so serious and intel biased.

Soldato
taz488 said:
jokester i think you think your god and know everything. this guy has a good point and at the minute amd are still beating intel in sales whatever you blame it on. you quite obviously an intel fanboy, stop being so serious and intel biased.

No need for that, both the OP and jokester and everyone else in this thread have good thoughts, yes AMD are outselling Intel (A64 // A64 X2 over the new Conroe for exactly the reasons Jokester said) conroe is very new, also, as Shakey_Jake33 says lack of selection on the motherboard front.

Your post has been RTM'd ... I put up with the idiocy on these forums in GD, but I like to consider the hardware forums the last bastion of the non-trollers.

Associate
lol ive bought amd for the past 5 pcs ive build but no way are amd outselling intel!! they are the biggest pc corp outside from microsoft every major pc builder uses them dell,pb,hp etc etc u think how many pcs dell sell a year compared to amd systems u gotta remeber people buying parts only makes up a very small % of sales!!!

Back
Top Bottom