gigabyte 965p ds4 wont boot

Associate
Hi there

I just put together a p4 system with a gigabyte 965p ds4,p4 541 3.2ghz,ocz 2gb el dual channel kit and a 1900xt-x.
My problem is the computer start's up the fan spins for a few seconds then stops and then the computer reboots.
I have checked the connections tried a different psu reseated the cpu and cleared the cmos too.The 541 is only in there till the 6600 are in stock.
If anyone could shed some light on the problem

Associate
OP
Thanks for the quick reply i will try it another case. I was just worried that it's was a compatibilty problem i have been using amd boards for the last six years so intel boards are a bit new to me.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your help but still no joy.It reminds of a gigabyte board i had years ago that would'nt boot that was down to the hsf plugged into the wrong header.I have just tried a new hsf just in case the first was to blame.
Looks like it might be an rma :confused:

Soldato
I've got a DS4 sat besides me right now.
Still boxed as I'm waiting for my Conroe.
How gutted am I going to be if there is a general issue with DS4's, my Conroe arrives and then I find I've got a faulty MB.

So tempted to rebuild around my old Intel 640 CPU now just so I'm sure all of the new hardware I've bought is OK.

Associate
I had to RMA my DS3, it did the same thing, was stone dead, had dry joins on the 775 socket and a ton of flux on the board. General QA problems at Gigabyte maybe.

Deff sounds like the mobo.

Got a DS4 comming on monday, hoping to hell that one works, ive had bad mobo luck recently :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well it sounds like it's the board then.
Oh well must be the luck of the draw hope to get a working one next time.I just regret not buying the abit board now.I was begining to doubt myself as i'am not a total noob my first pc was a 286 running at 16 mhz with a massive 32 meg hard drive and a adlib soundcard with dos 3.3 and since then have built dozen systems.And have been able to solve most things up till now.
It might be an idea Stoofa to try your board with the 640 first to avoid disappoinment feels like a wasted my saturday.
Looks like first thing monday i will be on the phone to overclockers helpline.

Many thanks for your help

Last edited:

Raj

Raj

Associate
Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but shall i got for the DS3 or pay the bit extra for the DS4. Only real differance i can see is that the DS4 has dual PCI-e slots so it supports Xfire? and real dual bios as it has 2 chips, not the virtual dual bios that the DS3 has. Any thoughts from anyone?

Associate
Raj said:
Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but shall i got for the DS3 or pay the bit extra for the DS4. Only real differance i can see is that the DS4 has dual PCI-e slots so it supports Xfire? and real dual bios as it has 2 chips, not the virtual dual bios that the DS3 has. Any thoughts from anyone?

The DS4 has two PCI-EX slots, but its 965 chipset does not support SLI at all, apparently

I think the DS4 has more head room for overclocking, and for an extra 18 quid, and after I compaired the two mobo PDF manuals, you get a bit more for juat a bit of extra cash.

The DQ6 will support quad core, when ever that happens.

Last edited:

Raj

Raj

Associate
Im gettin E6300, and i've heard nothing but good about it in combination with the DS3 so i think i might go with it, although the dual bios on the DS4 is tempting. Ay chance that xfire could be implemented in future with driver update or somthing as im getting a X1800xt?

Thanks in advance, Raj

Associate
Doing exactly the same as me there Raj :p . As far as I know SLI and Crossfire are completely different so I don't think you will ever get two x1800s running on the Ds4. Still, graphics has only got to last you until dx10 stuff comes out.

Associate
In regards to the problem...

If I use my Corsair XMS2-6400 C5 memory on my DQ6, the board starts, the fans spin, then the computer turns off. It then restarts and goes and does the same again and again...There is nothing wrong with the memory.

Luckily I had some Geil DDR2 - slotted that in and its working perfect! Dont know if certain boards are picky about memory or what, just seems strange that my Corsair wont work, yet it works in an AM2 system. Also works if I put my Geil and Corsair in together!

Im a bit dissappointed as I wanted to use the Corsair but never mind. Dont know why there is a problem there though??? I am going to try and reflash the BIOS as try my Corsair again.

Associate
Hi all

I have this rebooting problem with my DS3 board.

I can't find any reason for it. Here is my setup;

- Intel Core 2 DUO E6300
- Gigabyte GA_965P_DS3
- EVGA GeForce 7950 GX2
- OCZ GameXStream 700w
- Patriot 2GB PC7200 900MHz DDR2

I think I'm going to have to return my board, I'm sure the ram isn't faulty as per the post above, and I can't see any reason the ram wouldn't work in this setup.

Any suggestions anyone? I'm really disapointed.

Associate
weemee118888 said:
I have this rebooting problem with my DS3 board.

I can't find any reason for it. Here is my setup;

- Intel Core 2 DUO E6300
- Gigabyte GA_965P_DS3
- EVGA GeForce 7950 GX2
- OCZ GameXStream 700w
- Patriot 2GB PC7200 900MHz DDR2

I think I'm going to have to return my board, I'm sure the ram isn't faulty as per the post above, and I can't see any reason the ram wouldn't work in this setup.

Any suggestions anyone? I'm really disapointed.

I had the same problem with my DS3, besides the bad QA on the board.

I have the same setup as you, except E6700 and Samsung RAM

My DS4 is comming just now, hope my ram works in it, plan old samsung.
My pc has been stripped for 2 weeks now, because of not having a mobo. If it doesnt, ill have to get new ram, £150 later....

PC's can be very expensive. :eek:

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure if I should get another dq6 now! Seems to be lots of failures with this series of boards at the moment! No idea what to get instead either as the dq6 had all the stuff I wanted like Dolby Digital Live and good overclocking etc

Back
Top Bottom