Erf, new car... used car... commute... !11

Associate
Morn. Just picked up a rather spiffing job, however, the commute will be approx 50 miles a day and I don't feel the FTO will be the best machine to take to the roads with.

Thus I am beginning a new car search.

Today I went and had a look at the new Seat Leon range. I liked a lot... a lot, a lot... downside? The model I want is new (ie. no second hand market) and it would be approx £16k from a broker with the options I want...

seat1.jpg

Mmf!

Anyway, attempting to be sensible, 16k is a lot... so whilst I wait for the second hand market to emerge I was thinking of getting an interim car or something completely not leon related.

If I were to get a interim car, the budget would be around 8k... for this I'm thinking an older Seat Leon or a Focus TDCI... any other thoughts?

If I were to go with a newer car... basic requirements are as follows...

Nothing over group 14/15
Decent economy for the motorway (nothing turbo petrol ta)
Budget around 10k, possibly up to 16k...
Fun

At the mo I've been looking at...

Seat Leons (obviously)
Focus TDCI
Skoda Fabia vRS
Skoda Octavia vRS
Seat Ibiza FR
Ford Fiesta ST

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

One note about BMWs though, whilst they are nice, I feel they might be a bit out of my range with regards to servicing/unexpected breakages.

Man of Honour
If you want a boring run of the mill hatchback, there is no need to spend a 5 figure sum. Get a cheap Focus or something.

If you've got up to £16k, you can afford to buy and run a 12k BM ;)

Man of Honour
Shaz]sigh[ said:
Mostly due to wanting something decent and knowing that it won't lose me that much money in the interim.

Err, yea it will. The more you spend on a normal car the more money it will lose.

Associate
OP
FTO is not economical on the motorway, tis not worth that much either but.. it's just not the car for the job. It also leaks cash due to high insurance costs and possible parts costs if I ramp up the mileage.

To give you an indication... if I stopped paying the FTO insurance, I could get a Fiesta ST150 for £30 a month more and not even notice the money leaving my bank account.

Scary eh!

Back
Top Bottom