i need some help please

Caporegime
You're still missing the point - the massive majority of wireless APs has the wired and wireless interfaces bridged...

So to summarise:

tolien said:
Getting back to the point, does it work if you eliminate the wireless altogether and use ethernet?

Another question for the OP. If the machine's set to get an IP via DHCP (ie automatically), does it get one, or does it just bomb out with "limited or no connectivity"?

Permabanned
"Except that the other machine works fine, so you are wrong..."

And?

I was trying to help the OP, being told I am wrong and he doesnt need a bridge is not helping the OP at all. Im assuming the two laptops have their OWN seperate wireless network cards?

If they dont, and he is using his fathers network card then it will certainly be a configuration problem.

Anyway, YOUR wrong (hows it feel)

Associate
Good grief.

A bridge device is used to JOIN TWO LANS which may be both wired, both wireless, or one of each.

The OP doesn't have TWO LANS. He's merely trying to introduce an additional computer into an existing LAN which already, successfully, uses a mix of wired and wireless devices.

And it's "you're" not "your". So you're wrong again.

Soldato
OP
well, i have just this minute figured it out and got it working, and i cannot believe it was something so simple :o i wish there was an emoticon for slapping my forehead and saying "DOH!"

it was a simple case of me having the wep key my dad gave me wrote down incorrectly :o

yet the network was still saying i was connected to it? i dont understand why this was- if anyone can shed some light...

well guys, thanks for all your help..much appreciated , even though the problem was my own stupid fault (i`m going to blame my dad though ;) )

Associate
JBuk said:
well, i have just this minute figured it out and got it working, and i cannot believe it was something so simple :o i wish there was an emoticon for slapping my forehead and saying "DOH!"
It's usually the case with these frustrating network problems.

Please tell us you didn't use a bridge :D

Caporegime
JBuk said:
yet the network was still saying i was connected to it? i dont understand why this was- if anyone can shed some light...

Windows always does that. Though you should've found you got the "limited or no connectivity" message when the machine was set to get an IP automatically (or wound up with a 169.x.x.x IP).

Soldato
OP
Celestial Caravan said:
It's usually the case with these frustrating network problems.

Please tell us you didn't use a bridge :D

nope, no bridges here, well theres one behind my house for getting over the river but thats irrelevant :p

the network now has, adsl to router , one pc wired direct to router , a switch upstairs wired to the router with my pc on that , the wireless AP also to the router with 2 laptops now both connected ;) & another pc using the wireless

so alls well, until my dad gets his electicity bill :eek:

Soldato
OP
tolien said:
Windows always does that. Though you should've found you got the "limited or no connectivity" message when the machine was set to get an IP automatically (or wound up with a 169.x.x.x IP).

i probably did get that message but i never noticed it , thats me all over :rolleyes:

ahh well, ive learned a hell of a lot about wireless this last week, infact i`m even thinking of getting a laptop , the freedom is great, surf the web and sunbath at the same time, mint :)

Back
Top Bottom