First build help

Associate
Hello its my first post, nice to be here and its also my first build.
It will be used for gaming mostly.
Does it all look ok?

Antec P180b EU Aluminium Super Miditower - No PSU 77.06

Plus 2 optional Antec tricool 120mm case fans £15

Antec NeoPower 430w £40

Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail £242

Connect 3d ATI Radeon X1900XT 512Mb DDR3 2xDVI VIVO PCI-E £240

Western Digital Raptor SATA/150 74GB 10000RPM **Special Offer** £100

Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 160GB 1600JS SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM £47.50

Asus P5B (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard £105

Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C5 TwinX (2x1GB) £147

NEC ND4570 16x DVD+/-RW/RAM Dual Layer Black - OEM £25

Sony 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive Black - OEM £6.00

Artic silver 5 Thermal Paste £5

These prices are all including vat got some good deals i think total - £1050.00
I have everything apart from Conroe, I wish it would hurry up.

All ive ever done is fitted a gfx card and drives before so this project is quite daunting but i will give it a bash.

I would like to overclock a bit it even though i know nothing about it, but i am going to try to learn.
Will this system allow me to do this?

thanks
Keith

Last edited:
Soldato
If your overclocking you may want to change the case to an PC7+ or preferably a Akasa Eclipse 62 case, providing you do not already have the P180.

Also the PSU if your planning on overclocking that rig should be nearer to 500w or over really, as you may push that one at higher speeds due to the 1900xt.

The PSU cables are possibly to short on the PSU for the P180, as I found them short in a Chieffy Dragon case. May be worth asking someone who owns that combination, to save you buying power extenders aswell.

Man of Honour
Welcome to the forums, I can't add anything to what Yewen says about the case but all the rest of the parts are compatible. Are you sure that is a 6600 Conroe though? It is almost £100 more expensive on the OcUK website so it looks like you might have made a mistake or you got bargain of the century.

Associate
OP
Thx i have already have the case so stuck with it im afraid
I have been starting to think mabye i needed a more powerfull psu the Antec neo is the one that is recommended for the case so length shouldnt be a problem.

Do you think i should get a soundcard as well or do you think the mobo audio will be decent quality. i have creative 5.1 speakers.

Yes it is a mistake it was £240 sorry im tired :o
Ive just recalculated and its now £1050 didnt think id spent that much :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Pretty much every motherboard now has decent sound, it won't compare to a good aftermarket solution but for most purposes I doubt many people could tell the difference especially without high-end speakers to expose the flaws such as they are.

Soldato
Even on a reasonable sound system (£1000) my K8N Pro-SLI's onboard sound is several times better for music than my Audigy 2zs.

Not a patch on the CDP though, but onboard for music is just as good with a several times higher than top PC sound system, not worth the money really.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the help, i decided to change the psu to a Enermax Liberty ELT500AWT 500w.
Read a review and somebody was using it with the Antec p180b case so hopefully the cable length will be fine

Should i buy a new cpu cooler or will the stock one be ok and if so could somebody reccomend one that would be suitable for the mobo please and one thats pretty easy to install would be better :confused:
As this is my first attempt i dont want to risk cracking the board or something.

thanks
Keith

Last edited:
Soldato
Add me to msn if you want a chat about your first build. :)

The stock one is a good one to start with, lots of options depending on if you want really low noise, ultimate performance or just cheap and cheerful doing the job it needs to. :)

Back
Top Bottom