• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Athlon 64 FX-55 Processor busted

Soldato
Well not mine but mates, when I asked him what is/was broke, he explained 2 pins had snapped off. Him been wealthy beyond all sanity; just popped down the shops and purchased a new 939 FX CPU as if he was buying packet of crisps. Now me been in trade where this is not beyond fixing, since I now have CPU sitting on my desk for free; what's it like V's the one in my sig for overclocking and general performance? I'd never bent CPU pins myself till I damaged my bro's other month, bent them back but was not confident all was going to be ok until I discovered bending or snapping them is not a total 100% loss. Bro's one was fine btw so going to attempt a fix on this FX. :D

Edit: Forgot to mention, inserted the cpu wrong way round & that's how he bent the 2 prongs + snapped them in attempt to bend back. He did try to boot whilst inserted wrong so has he killed CPU by doing so? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

J.D

J.D

Soldato
Dámn you could have bought a LOT of chips that could probably match or beat the FX model for the price of 1 CPU. 1mb Cache WOW. I got 1mb cache and I've heard hundreds of times it doesn't matter all that much.

Sadly I have a friend who does the same.

I got an ATI X800 XT PE and MSI Neo 2 Platinum motherboard for £50 off him about 8 months ago ;).

Hope he sells his X1900xtx :D.

Soldato
OP
Concorde Rules said:
Dead CPU + mobo possibly.

He's mobo is ok as the new FX works fine with it, got an old socket A laying around that could end up lending some pins for a fix on the damaged one. :) Pins that broke off seem essential as my mobo can see the cpu but wont boot up with it. :(

Last edited:
Associate
u could try and get a jeweler to attach them for you.............worth a shot if you ask me!!!...........an fx for peanuts!.................or u *** try sticking some gold wire into the missing pins hole in the socket and gettin em so there flush so when u stuck the fan on it pushes nicely on to the cpu! and giving a good contact! besides that your buggered!................but then again it should be still under warrenty...i read on another forum a guy did the same and rma'd the chip and just said they came off and they give him a replacement!

Back
Top Bottom