Runner-up

Soldato
I think most most would agree that Chelsea are the team to beat again this season more so now they have strengthened the squad with Schevchenko and Ballack to name 2 plus, the imminent arrival of Cole.

My question is who will give Chelsea a run for there money and finish in the runner-up spot?

As much as I would like to say United, with only 1 signing during the close season, I fear a lean year!
Arsenal have an exceptional young squad spearheaded by arguably the best striker to grace the Premiership, if Henry picks up an injury Arsenal could struggle.
Spurs not quite strong enough yet but could push for a top 4 position this season.
Therefore, my choice as much as I hate to say it will be Liverpool. As Hansen would say, they have strength, balance, technique and desire :D

Associate
I think the problem with both Spurs & Arsenal is that they are both very young squads with less and less more experienced / older heads about to nurture and bring along that talent week in week out in the Premiership. For this reason I don't think neither will be serious competitors to Chelsea this season, but in a season or two these teams will definately be there or thereabouts.

It is very close between Liverpool and Man U for the closest rivals to Chelsea, Never write Man U off, players like Giggs, Scholes, Neville & Solskjaer are in the very last stages of their top level careers so they will be as hungry for success and to go out with a bang as ever, added to that some young talent and a few more good midfielders and they will still be up there. Liverpool have a great chance now to push on and try to put Chelsea under some presure. Benitez has addressed all the weaknesses in the team and the squad, there is healthy competition in all places and am sure a striker will come in before the end of the transfer window just to keep the rest of the forwards on their toes.

Basically though the top 3 behind Chelsea though will be hoping that with many new additions and possibly a change in playing style, Chelsea will be slow off the mark and that could be the difference this time round. Also lots of talk that Jose wants the CL more than anything and possibly that will come first and foremost.

Soldato
Celestial Caravan said:
Manu for relegation within 4 years. You read it here first :D
O RLY??
im willing to bet you £1billion that they won't.
are you willing to do this? ;)

looking forward to getting my £1billion :cool:

Associate
What's going to be interesting is whether Jose can keep all his Galactico's happy. Whether the center of midfield will gel. Will Lampard work with Ballack?. Is Shevi past his best?

It does'nt matter too much as Chelsea have so much strength in depth that this term they could field 3 teams...

I just hope Liverpool continue on where we off, and get a good start and not allow Jose to get to cose.

COME ON YOU REDS

YNWA

Man of Honour
-|ScottFree|- said:
It does'nt matter too much as Chelsea have so much strength in depth that this term they could field 3 teams...
A popular misconception brought on by people reading articles written by fools who don't know the facts then accepting it as gospel. As factless as the myth about Stamford Bridge being empty last season (started by a Liverpool fan in the press funnily enough) when in fact it was filled more on average than Anfield, how I laughed at his squirming when this FACT was pointed out to him:)
Does anyone know the amount of outfield players in the squads of Man.U., Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs & Newcastle?

Soldato
Should hopefully be a good season, I can't really see anyone keeping with Chelski due to the sheer amount of players, the fact that they could loose 4 plays to injury and still field a full team is something al the other top teams lacked last season.
I'm hoping to see Liverpool keep with them, but then again I'm a pool fan so what dya expect :)

Man of Honour
johnny G I think his point was chelseas strength in depth means they could possibly field 3 winning teams, no one else in the prem,iership has the squad depth of chelsea.

Cech
Ferreria, Terry, Carvalho, Cole
Makele
Robben, Lampard, Ballack, Cole
Shevchenko

Cudicini
Geremi, Gallas ,Huth, Bridge (actually Chelsea are a bit short at the back ?)
Essien, Diarra, Mikel, Wright Philips
Crespo, Drogba

hmm actually looking at the squad lists, it would appear that Chelsea are short of having 2 players in each possiton at the moment ?

With Huth possibly going to Boro that would leave 6 defenders plus Geremi, outside the first 4 ro 5 midfielders (depending on how they play) there are only a couple of known replacements and really they have only 3 forwards ?

a few injuries and maybe chelsea's squad isnt as strong as we think ?

ahh forgot about the arrival of Kalou who will add considerable depth as can play both wings and upfront I beleive.

Man of Honour
Cole isn't there yet so including him is a bit unfair, Huth should be going to 'Boro on loan pending his fitness & a permanent move, Crespo will go if a decent offer comes in (he hasn't travelled to the US with the rest of the squad), as for Ballack, Mikel, Kalou & Shevchenko, assuming they will perform in the PL is daft, many big name players & talented youngsters don't make the grade. We've got 20 outfield players at the moment including the 6 I mentioned. Our first team will be as good as it was last year but no-one knows what the newcomers will bring yet to the squad.:)

Soldato
JohnnyG said:
Have you read the post above yours?:)

memphisto said:
johnny G I think his point was chelseas strength in depth means they could possibly field 3 winning teams, no one else in the prem,iership has the squad depth of chelsea.

What he said :)

lLast season Chelski could afford to loose a few players, compared to Liverpool struggling without having atleast Gerrard or Alonso
This season we have a few more players so should be doing much better

Associate
JohnnyG said:
A popular misconception brought on by people reading articles written by fools who don't know the facts then accepting it as gospel. As factless as the myth about Stamford Bridge being empty last season (started by a Liverpool fan in the press funnily enough) when in fact it was filled more on average than Anfield, how I laughed at his squirming when this FACT was pointed out to him:)
Does anyone know the amount of outfield players in the squads of Man.U., Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs & Newcastle?

LOL Johnny G.

What those "fools" are referring too is when Liverpool Man U and Arsenal lose one of their first string 11, they do not have the strength in depth that Chelsea have to cover those positions. Chelsea have another 2 and often 3 players that can fill that place and it would still look like a fantasy football team.

I'm sure you you laughed at the Liverpool supporter who made a remark that was intent on a getting a reaction. I'm sure he laughed when he got one!

Man of Honour
-|ScottFree|- said:
LOL Johnny G.
What those "fools" are referring too is when Liverpool Man U and Arsenal lose one of their first string 11, they do not have the strength in depth that Chelsea have to cover those positions. Chelsea have another 2 and often 3 players that can fill that place and it would still look like a fantasy football team.
LOL, which 2 or 3 players do we have to play LB or RB that you would pick in that position for a FF team then?

Don
JohnnyG said:
LOL, which 2 or 3 players do we have to play LB or RB that you would pick in that position for a FF team then?
Have to say that (even if i don't want to) your right on this. Chelsea proberly have a smaller squad than Liverpool, Man Utd and Spurs (proberly not Arsenal though). But the big difference is the quality of there squad; Chelsea can afford to leave top class internationals on the bench and not weaken there starting 11.

Back to the original question; i think Man Utd will finish 2nd next season...... Behind Liverpool of course :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
BaZ87 said:
Have to say that (even if i don't want to) your right on this. Chelsea proberly have a smaller squad than Liverpool, Man Utd and Spurs (proberly not Arsenal though). But the big difference is the quality of there squad; Chelsea can afford to leave top class internationals on the bench and not weaken there starting 11
As I mentioned above, we've got 20 outfield players 2 of whom could be leaving with 1 coming in so it's not a big squad numbers wise.
Look at our strikers, if Crespo goes we have Drogba & 2 who are unproven in the PL & Stamford Bridge is the home of striker neutering don't forget.
Our midfield is still strong but a couple of injuries, especially to Cole & Fatso & all of a sudden it's unbalanced & largely untried.
The CB position is covered, as long as we get Cole as that means Gallas won't have to play LB at times. We have 1 RB in Ferriera & a bits & pieces bloke in Geremi who can do a job there.
It's still a decent squad but it's not full of numbers & depth as some still think:)

Last edited:
Don
JohnnyG said:
As I mentioned above, we've got 20 outfield players 2 of whom could be leaving with 1 coming in so it's not a big squad numbers wise.
Look at our strikers, if Crespo goes we have Drogba & 2 who are unproven in the PL & Stamford Bridge is the home of striker neutering don't forget.
Our midfield is still strong but a couple of injuries, especially to Cole & Fatso & all of a suden it's unbalanced & largely untried.
The CB position is covered, as long as we get Cole as that means Gallas won't have to play LB at times. We have 1 RB in Ferriera & a bits & pieces bloke in Geremi who can do a job there.
It's still a decent squad but it's not full of numbers & depth as some still think:)
:confused: i agreed with you

Back
Top Bottom