• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

what is going on? 1800xt

Soldato
I have a x1800xt connected to a Thermaltake toughpower 750w psu yet I get loads of cold boot problems. It seems totally random when I get cold boot problems, but it will last the entire day when they come.

I have tried using the supplied pci-e converter, the dedicated pci-e connector from the psu and have done a bios update, still no joy.

anyone hav any better ideas?

Associate
It sounds like a psu problem, i had a similar cold boot problem when i ran my X800 on my previous psu. Once it was warmed up it was ok, though bought a new one and cured the problem. Though i cant see how yours is failing considering the wattage. Might be worth running motherboard monitor to check any drops on your rails due to current draw.
Anyone else?

Associate
are both of them newly purchased products? have/can you try it on other systems? you might be able to isolate it to either the PSU or Graphics card.

Soldato
I'm getting almost the same problem with my X1900XT. What I do is switch it on , then hold the power button in till it switches off, and then keep pressing the power button until the machine switches on again. Then my machine will boot up.

Associate
killer_uk said:
I'm getting almost the same problem with my X1900XT. What I do is switch it on , then hold the power button in till it switches off, and then keep pressing the power button until the machine switches on again. Then my machine will boot up.

That's not the most technical solution, but it's a dam site better than this sarky comment. ;).

NB: Oddly enough that's what worked with my old p3 systems. Sometimes it just failed initialise the graphics card and I got a blank screen even though everything else was working. Took a few jump starts to get the old mx440 fired up.

Soldato
man_from_uncle said:
That's not the most technical solution, but it's a dam site better than this sarky comment. ;).

NB: Oddly enough that's what worked with my old p3 systems. Sometimes it just failed initialise the graphics card and I got a blank screen even though everything else was working. Took a few jump starts to get the old mx440 fired up.

Yeah, thats what I do until I can send my PSU back ;)

At OP: It looks like its a PSU fault.

Soldato
OP
The card is less than 2 weeks old. I have changed the PSU and this yields the same results. The problem has degenerated from working to not in less than 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom