What memory for an ASUS M2N-E motherboard?

Soldato
Hi - following along from my thread in Motherboards here I've pretty much decided on this board but I've read that it is very picky about what memory it wants

I've heard that it can only put 1.95V through the memory too - this could be an issue as most higher speed lower latency stuff needs more then this

This is what I posted in my motherboard thread, after I was advised about the memory issues. I was originally looking to buy the Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C4 TwinX (2x1GB) (MY-108-CS).

ajgoodfellow said:
Thanks - that's my only real concern as I've read about a few problems with memory and this board. I've heard that it doesn't like GSkill but Corsair should be OK, but I'm not sure (neither are on the certified memory list). I read somewhere on the net after a google search that that particular Corsair (the CAS4 800MHz stuff) does work. I can't find that site again at the moment unfortunately

The qualified vendors list lists Kingston, Infeon, Hnix, Micron and A-Data chips. The only qualified 1GB chips are Kingston chips (for DDR2-800). Perhaps I should get some Kingston ram?

The Corsair website states that the TWIN2X2048-6400C4 is compatible with the ASUS M2N-E, but then it's rated at 2.1V (link). Awkward.

For £30 extra I can get some stuff that's guaranteed to work direct from Crucial but it's only CAS5 - bit pricey. It's rated at 1.8V though

Perhaps I should look at a different motherboard? What DDR2-800 ram would you recommend?

Thanks for all your help!

According to Crucial, their Ballistix 2GB DDR2-800 kit will work, rated at CAS4. It's getting expensive at £255 direct though and it's rated at 2.2V. Is the Ballistix DDR2 stuff more reliable than their DDR ram? Crucial ram is usually very reliable but the DDR one kits suffered from a larger than normal number of failures

I'd like DDR2-800 ram, preferably not much more than £200 and rated at CAS4 or less :)

Thanks for your help in advance, and apologies for posting it again here but it'd probably get more reads here for memory issues than in the motherboards forum :)

Soldato
OP
OK - I've done a spot of research on the ASUS Forums

According to this thread, it looks like the Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C5 TwinX (2x1GB) (MY-092-CS) works as it's rated at 1.9V. The Crucial stuff is also recommended, but the Corsair stuff costs £147 inc VAT compared to £230 inc VAT for the Crucial stuff! That's a huge saving!

I might look at that Corsair stuff then. The CAS4 doesn't work according to the forums - it only boots @ DDR2-667 in single channel and even then it's not great. It seems that the lack of voltage to the memory is the problem here

Soldato
OP
A quick update in case anyone was considering this board.

Using the shipping BIOS, 0103, I could only get the board to be stable with the ram set at DDR2-667, 5-5-5-18 2T, 1.9V.

After upgrading to the latest BIOS, 0203, it now works perfectly with the memory at it's stock timings of DDR2-800, 5-5-5-12 1T, 1.9V

I bought the Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C5 TwinX (2x1GB) (MY-092-CS) memory

Back
Top Bottom