Playstation 3 - Money Opportunity?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Ultra_Extreme said:
i know that, all consoles make a loss

BZZT!!! Sorry, not quite correct, but thank you for playing. Certainly true in the Xbox's case, but not for the PS2. From the Acts Of Gord website:

Gord said:
It's not I saying that Sony has always made a unit profit on each PS2 sold, but Sony themselves claiming that. In both the press conferences for follow-up questions pertaining to the 2000 and 2001 stock report for investors, which were available online in audio files on Sony's website for months after the publication of their annual report, Sony openly discussed how the PS2 is profitable on each unit sold.

End of short version. Everything else beyond that is the how and why everything works the way it does. Is Sony going to go out and make a press release about it? "Hey! We're making $100 profit per console sold while MS loses $100 on each Xbox!" Of course not. People want their hardware as cheap as possible with the perception that it cost a lot. Consumers want a deal. They want their perceived value. It helps to justify why games are $50 brand new instead of the $19 they should be. Others want to believe that companies like Sony made the PS2 because they love video games and profit from a console sale goes against everything they believe in. A number of people are offended at the idea a console manufacturer would make a profit as they've lived the lie of every console is sold below cost for years. Plus others will say "there must be a price drop coming!" and push off purchasing a console.

Plus for us to accept that Sony is lying and that they are in fact losing money per console sold, that means we have to accept that hundreds of employees are all conspiring to cover the truth and risking their personal fortunes and possible jail time to cover a secret that would be discovered eventually.

Let's keep our eyes on the ball people. Sony has sold more than fifty million PS2s. Lets pretend Sony has been lying to us all along and that the PS2 is a money pit. Assuming a true cost/price different of $200 (from the originally claimed cost of $100 below retail to $100 above retail) on fifty million units, that's ten billion dollars. TEN BILLION. People are going to notice ten billion dollars missing from the bank accounts. Hell, let's say Sony isn't even losing any money at all but instead are selling at cost. Ok, so it's only five billion dollars missing from the bank account. Don't dare to try and claim that this number could possibly hidden as as a rounding error.

It's not like it's some great secret that Sony makes money hand over fist on the PS2. While Nintendo, Sega, and Microsoft all outsource production, Sony makes everything themselves. Outsourcing means that someone else is in the loop who has to make a profit. No one works for free.

Don't blame the messenger if you are angry that I opened your eyes to the economic realities of this market.

The PS1 and PS2 were designed and built completely in-house, making them a lot cheaper to build than the Xbox and 360. The PS3 may well buck this trend due to it's development costs and the fact that Sony are bringing in more hardware from outside this time round, but a blanket statement like "all consoles make a loss" isn't telling the truth.

***edit***

Full article here

Permabanned
Minority said:
I read, can't remember where exactly, they said they will NOT drop the price. Manufacturing costs will drop however.

Yes true, but my point still stands.

If they do actually have plans to do a price drop then they're going to keep it quiet, because if they confirmed the rumours then people would hold off buying one until Christmas.

Soldato
Ultra_Extreme said:
you sure? *pokes underboss ban-cannon*

What i should have been clear about is "only a pillock would buy one..............at that price"

If you still say your going to get one, at launch, at the ridiculous price, then i say you've either got more money than sense, or just no sense.

sorry mate, but you do know that there are a lot of people with a lot of money and would spend this amount on the PS3? Doesnt mean they're 'pillocks' or have 'no sense', but they just have the money for it, so why not? If it's your financial situation stopping you from buying the ps3 at that price or not making it a viable purchase, why assume others are in the same situation? (The last sentence wasnt a direct dig at yourself, but a statement others can read and understand too)

Soldato
Tommy B said:
That's not the point in this thread. I'm just sick of nonces saying how good it is when I've played it myself plenty of times and it really has nothing on most decent PC games. FPS games will always be better suited to keyboard and mouse, not some crappy controller. For sports games, yes the 360 is fantastic, but the graphics aren't really much better than the PC.

so that makes you hate the 360? how can you "hate" a games console? thats the nerdiest thing ive ever heard.

Soldato
Ripper^ said:
so that makes you hate the 360? how can you "hate" a games console? thats the nerdiest thing ive ever heard.

I hate it because I hate the nerds who love it so much.

Thinking about it, I haven't played a video game for over 2 weeks now, so I'm hardly the nerd.

~J~

~J~

Soldato
Tommy B said:
I hate it because I hate the nerds who love it so much.

Thinking about it, I haven't played a video game for over 2 weeks now, so I'm hardly the nerd.

Well I'm not gonna mince my words, don't wanna speak for Ripper^ but personally I'd have changed the "Nerdiest" for "Stupidest".

Come on get a grip, it's a piece of metal, plastic and silicon that when combined together produces instructions in a binary format that are thus translated into electronic actions and shown to a screen (in it's basic context).

How on earth can you be so adult about it when you come out with a comment like "I hate it because I hate the nerds who love it so much"? What kinda comment is that! Grow up!

Man of Honour
dirtydog said:
When you're older you'll remember saying things like this and cringe ;)

Yup, though guys, it's *nearly* getting over the top and childish argument / namecalling, so be careful, else it'll be another PS3 thread closed.

Soldato
I'm not insulting anyone in particular, where as you guys are.

Hate is a strong word. Perhaps saying that I find them annoying would be more appropriate.

EDIT : I've said why. I dislike people who seem to think it's the BEST thing money can buy when in fact it's feeble in comparison to a high-end PC. I also think the origional Xbox was awful because all the games were stolen from the PS2, apart from Halo. It's impressive kit for the money, but I've never really been THAT impressed by the performance/graphics and thus I can't understand the nerdy "OMG its much betterz than megahurtz on my pc"

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Ripper^ said:
20gb version isn't being released over here is it? thats what i remember reading anyway

There's never been a proper announcement, Sony are being very tight lipped at the moment regarding the pricing and UK PS3 strategy. I wouldn't be suprised if we didn't see the 20GB version, though if it did appear, I'd say it would probably be between £325 and £375.

Permabanned
I bought a 360 to sell on, I made £240 profit, I got called all the names under the sun but I preordered on the first day you could.

I can see there being 5,000+ on eBay on the launch day, they will be going for silly money, but thats life, if you can get hold of one to either sell or keep then you will have done well.

Permabanned
Kappa said:
sorry mate, but you do know that there are a lot of people with a lot of money and would spend this amount on the PS3? Doesnt mean they're 'pillocks' or have 'no sense', but they just have the money for it, so why not? If it's your financial situation stopping you from buying the ps3 at that price or not making it a viable purchase, why assume others are in the same situation? (The last sentence wasnt a direct dig at yourself, but a statement others can read and understand too)

lol wtf?!? i consider myself very shrewd with money, thus why i run my own company and am successful in doing so. Buying a console at launch is like buying a new car, STUPID, of course ppl will do it, its still utter idiocy. But thats only my opinion,

And to those who feel i was harsh saying all consoles make a loss...id learn to be more skeptical if i were you, amazingly not everything you read is true.......

I actually dont care who listens to me tho anyway lol

Permabanned
Tommy B said:
I also think the origional Xbox was awful because all the games were stolen from the PS2, apart from Halo.

And Ninja Gaiden, Forza Motorsport, Dead or Alive Ultimate, OutRun 2, Rallisport Challenge 1/2 etc etc etc. But yes, otherwise you're spot on ;)

Back
Top Bottom