New killer TV?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Like a lot of people, I've been really underwhelmed by most LCD and plasmas.
CRTs still often have the edge in a lot of areas.

Well Samsung have apparently upped the ante with a new 32" (visible) high definition CRT TV, with HDMI input and built in freeview, for around £450.
I'd expect the picture quality on that to be stunning.

If you're looking for a new TV, would be a rather good place to start.

Associate
looking at some of those pics they don't look that bad the problems.

I must have broken eyes thos pics looks pretty nice to me. There is a slight bend in the top right hand of some pics.

But wouldn't say I'd have noticed unless someone said to me.

Soldato
doozer said:
looking at some of those pics they don't look that bad the problems.

I must have broken eyes thos pics looks pretty nice to me. There is a slight bend in the top right hand of some pics.

But wouldn't say I'd have noticed unless someone said to me.

The middle of the bottom and middle of the top (horizontally) are pinched towards the centre of the TV. It's bad enough to not make me buy it.

I still am yet to see a CRT which is as good as my few year old TX28PS12.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Good link on the AV forum, thanks for that.

Have to say that I thought the onscreen picture looked like it was very blurred towards the sides. Can't say I was impressed, and neither are a lot of the forum users who've commented on ones they've tried.

NEXT!

Soldato
Maybe not! Apparently the problems seem to have been corrected on the newest batch. :D

Now I hope there's a way of getting around the DVI>HDMI as I want to connect my PC to it to watch some nice HD stuff.

Soldato
Energize said:
Apparantly the new batch have fixed the geo problems.

Not a chance, you can not fix something that is inherenet to the technology. All crt tubes have some geo issue, short neck tubes will always have the problems far worse.

FWIW my m8 is on his 4th, it is possibly the worst crt screen i have ever seen. Over the years i have had Sony + b+o with folks, Jvc, panasonic + Sony myself and it gives a terrible picture compared to these. Out of focus at edges, geo problems far worse than any i have seen and a very poor iq overall. In hd its not bad, but suffers the same faults.

The Sony HD crt a friend imported years ago is around 12 million times better than the samsung effort and i could even live with a samsung lcd over this set (and that really is saying something)

The shop where my m8 got it from has stated that they have returned more of these sets than any other tv in the shops history (huge chain here) i know the service engineers in our company who andle tv's are going out on lots of calls for them with no fault found as its just how they are. The last Samsung slimfit was equally as bad so its no real surprise, the hd version in the states (same as here basically) gets slated over there when compared to even budget hd crt's.

The only potential good thing is if some good screen makers launch hd crt's on the back of this - from what i have heard this is looking unlikely.

HD crt's can be draw droppingly good and i am a huge crt fan but not in the UK unless its crt projectors.

Suspended
I can, but the majority of screenshots are useless (GUI with curved boxes) great way to show geometry problems. :rolleyes: They need to show grids.

Back
Top Bottom