• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DX10 cards power draw? what u think

Associate
I've heard the new cards are going to draw heavily (r600 especially)

Recently got an enermax liberty 620w, u think it would be enough for O'clocked single card system??? (intel E6600)

Associate
Hi Jaws,

I recently brought a Seasonic 600 S12 watt from overclockers, and at this time, was searching overclockers forums for other people using this psu. Someone does crossfire (X900XT) on this psu>>>> http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17532530&page=2&pp=30 <<<<< ("Raja" poster #36) (18 amp x 2) so would have though 620 to be sufficient - who knows though:)

What amps do you have on your rails(s) if 2 rails (like mine) what is the total?.

Anthony

Last edited:
Soldato
Me and Raja both used the Seasonic S12, but unfortunately it didnt hold up in Crossfire.

Raja ended up with the Tagan 900W and i opted for the Sparkle 700w

Im sure it will handle the single cards fine though

Associate
If I were to take an educated guess, I'd imagine we'd see a continuation of the current trends. The high-end cards will continue to draw a fair amount of power (think X1900XT?) whereas the slower, more middle/low end dx10 cards will draw less.

Having DX10 support won't intrinsically increase power requirements, so just expect business as usual really. I'm sure if you stick to a single card the enermax liberty 620w will be fine. :)

Associate
OP
Antx777 said:
Hi Jaws,

I recently brought a Seasonic 600 S12 watt from overclockers, and at this time, was searching overclockers forums for other people using this psu. Someone does crossfire (X900XT) on this psu>>>> http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17532530&page=2&pp=30 <<<<< ("Raja" poster #36) (18 amp x 2) so would have though 620 to be sufficient - who knows though:)

What amps do you have on your rails(s) if 2 rails (like mine) what is the total?.

Anthony

Not 100% on this but i see 22Amps on each 12vrail = 432W total?

Soldato
They're making PSUs just for graphics cards. They were demoed at CES.

Fortunately AMD and NV are pulling back after the next gen (X1950 is current gen for all intents and purposes), reducing power consumption. Or so rumour has it.

Soldato
i doubt there will be much of an increase in power consumption. the way things go with technology it just gets smaller, faster, less hotter and eats up less power.

new gpus will have an efficiency increase and also and gddr4 is also less power hungry.

Soldato
I refuse to buy a new card that consumes more power than my x1900. My guess is that cards with a unified shader architecture will be more efficient than those currently. Hopefully, this combined with manufacturing process improvements will mean that a PSU upgrade isn't needed every time a new generation of graphics cards comes out.

Back
Top Bottom