Update on the p990

Caporegime
wam7 said:
Will be interested in what you think after a few days use...... then after a few months. :) Still probably going to go for the TyTN (Vario II) but my 910i does every thing I need right now.

Well seeing as i was one of the first to get the p800 then the p900 then the p910i, im sure im going to love the p990i.
I wont be going for any window mobile devices thats for sure, dont like their o/s...too unstable and just as bad as the nokia s60 os:p. So far from what i have seen and heard about the p990i, it looks good.

Caporegime
Hmmm quick favour guys, since you probably know a fair amount more about the specs/features - can you give me a comparison between the HTC TyTn and the SE P990i?

Please consider Im desperate to stay on TMobile because of FlexT and WnW to maximum my usage of these PDA type phones (arent we all ;)) - guessing they should both turn up on TMobile too (unlike a lot of the N Series)

Both are on my shortlist (been off contract a year now :p) so will lump for either one really...

Cheers

ps3ud0 :cool:

Caporegime
ps3ud0 said:
Hmmm quick favour guys, since you probably know a fair amount more about the specs/features - can you give me a comparison between the HTC TyTn and the SE P990i?

Please consider Im desperate to stay on TMobile because of FlexT and WnW to maximum my usage of these PDA type phones (arent we all ;)) - guessing they should both turn up on TMobile too (unlike a lot of the N Series)

Both are on my shortlist (been off contract a year now :p) so will lump for either one really...

Cheers

Kinda hard to do mate...no offence but both phones arent out on the market so to speak. From what i could see pics wise the Tyn Tyn is quite a bit bigger than the p990i. Not only that the p990i is a phone at the heart then a pda secondly imho, the tyn tyn is a pda then phone...the size and the fact it runs on Windows mobile is enough to put me off them as ive used windows mobile extensively...used the o2 exec and i found that cumbersome at times.

If i get a chance ill definitely post a mini review of the p990i when i get it:). I'll be using the p990i with my web n walk tariff, one of the reasons why i switched over to tmobile...to use the p990i with the web n walk.

Last edited:
Soldato
ps3ud0 said:
guessing they should both turn up on TMobile too (unlike a lot of the N Series)

I wouldn't hold your breathe on that.

The HTC TyTn (MDA Vario II) will definitly be available in August I believe.

With regards to the P990i, I don't recall T-Mobile ever featuring any SE Pxxx series handset on its network in the past.

Caporegime
Spawn said:
Kinda hard to do mate...no offence but both phones arent out on the market so to speak. From what i could see pics wise the Tyn Tyn is quite a bit bigger than the p990i. Not only that the p990i is a phone at the heart then a pda secondly imho, the tyn tyn is a pda then phone...the size and the fact it runs on Windows mobile is enough to put me off them as ive used windows mobile extensively...used the o2 exec and i found that cumbersome at times.

If i get a chance ill definitely post a mini review of the p990i when i get it:). I'll be using the p990i with my web n walk tariff, one of the reasons why i switched over to tmobile...to use the p990i with the web n walk.
Cheers for the info both of you - what I really meant was an idea on how the tech specs compare in relation to what you know on the OS they are running. Im assuming the TyTn will be more powerful, but as you said if WM5 is a lot buggier/bloated then it might be less useable...

After what Ive heard about Nokias implementation of Symbian - would the P990i do it any better/faster other than its just more powerful? Ive not had a smartphone before, but I cant see any other better phones on the market for what I want to do...

Guru - I guess thats made my mind up - I swore you could get the P910i on Tmobile direct - maybe thats me :confused:

Soldato
ps3ud0 said:
Guru - I guess thats made my mind up - I swore you could get the P910i on Tmobile direct - maybe thats me :confused:

I actually think your right.

Just Googled and found the P910i was available on T-Mobile. Obviously now discountinued. Maybe T-Mobile might have the P990i afterall.

We got an peeps here inside with T-Mobile? :p

Soldato
After what Ive heard about Nokias implementation of Symbian - would the P990i do it any better/faster other than its just more powerful?

Personally, I prefer the features of the Nokia Symbian phones but the Sony Ericsson Symbian phones do seem to be a lot faster.

The P910i only has a 150Mhz CPU but the only time I've ever noticed slowdown is when there's a tonne of entries in my calender and I'm opening it for the first time. I don't know why the SE phones are faster - perhaps it's because they tend to have a lot more RAM or perhaps it's because they use a different UI.

Soldato
just found this out.

Sony Ericsson P990i - August 22nd

Handset Pricing :

Anytime 75|125
£350

Anytime 200|275
£250

Anytime 350|500
£150

Anytime 700|1000
FREE

so for £35 a month (3MHP) you can have the P990 free with 700 mins and 100 texts.

Associate
GuruJockStrap said:
So probably looking at £100-150 on a £30-35 a month contract then. Ouch!

more than that probably. i got a p901 for £200 and i spend 35-40 a month when they first came out. 35-40 a month is considered as a low usage user, you need to be spending 60-80 before you'll see the big discounts, this is without thretning to leave or any of that crap.

Soldato
GuruJockStrap said:
Is that with O2? If it is, are those for 12 or 18 month contracts?

Sorry mate, yeah thats on Vodafone, the standard prices are on a 12 or 18 month contract, that 700min 100txt offer is 18 months tho

Associate
Spawn said:
The TyTn *is* currently available (although only just) and is actually slightly smaller than the P990i.

TyTn: 112.5 x 58 x 21.95 (mm)

P990i: 114 x 57 x 25 (mm)

By volume it is a fair amount smaller, although it weighs 26g more than the P990i.

To be honest I'm not sure I'd base a WM5 experience on an early device like the HTC Universal (O2 Exec) - it was one of the first WM5 devices and very cumbersome because of its size alone. WM5 is now pretty mature especially the AKU 2.3 version on the TyTn.

Speaking as an SE M600i owner and therfore UIQ3 device owner, I am really not convinced that Symbian these days is any better if at all than WM5 as a platform.
Currently UIQ3/Symbian 9.1 in the M600i and the P990i has huge memory issues (ie the lack of it) and right now it is pretty buggy - nothing like as mature as the P910i was, but then you wouldn't expect it to be.
Reports of Symbian being greatly more stable than recent WM5 devices are IMO greatly over exagerated.

On top of this there will likely be very little software (especially freeware) available for the UIQ3 platform (and Symbian 9.x in general including S60) because of the daft "Symbian signed" scheme which forces just about any useful software to go through a rather expensive signing process. It also means that any bug fixes however minor then need resubmitting for resigning - at of course a cost to the developer. To be honest if I was a Symbian developer I'm not sure I'd bother based on the expense of getting apps signed and resigned. Symbian has really shot themselves in the foot here.
The WM5 software library is growing by the day and Microsoft seem to want to encourage developers by releasing plenty of useful development tools.

Whilst I'd agree that Symbian devices tend to be phone first and PDA second and the opposite for WM5 devices, I think it depends entirely on the type of device you are looking for.
As a techy I much prefer the idea of WM5 being what I'd consider more of a a traditional OS with plenty to hack around. Symbian 9.x and UIQ3 is almost 100% locked down and prevents the user from doing anything interesting - you can't even see half the file system on the device for example.

Until around a week ago I was dead set on getting an SE P990i, but I am now really seriously considering a TyTn (the proper HTC variant not a network branded version) - not least because of the impending UK availability of the Slingbox Mobile client, but also because down to the delays of the P990i I think it will have a very limited shelf life. October time at the Smartphone show is when SE traditionally announce a new P-series device and that date is getting closer by the minute.

Decisions, decisions.......

Soldato
On top of this there will likely be very little software (especially freeware) available for the UIQ3 platform (and Symbian 9.x in general including S60) because of the daft "Symbian signed" scheme which forces just about any useful software to go through a rather expensive signing process. It also means that any bug fixes however minor then need resubmitting for resigning - at of course a cost to the developer. To be honest if I was a Symbian developer I'm not sure I'd bother based on the expense of getting apps signed and resigned. Symbian has really shot themselves in the foot here.

I agree that getting apps signed delays the release of software, but anyone creating freeware can get their app signed for free. Most games won't even need to be signed anyway, since signing is only needed when using restricted APIs (making calls, sending texts, accessing the network, etc.). Developers are actually appreciating Symbian Signing as it's a lot harder to crack signed apps. Piracy is a big concern for developers and the cost invovled with getting an app signed is likely to be peanuts compared to how much the developer could lose through illegal copying.

Symbian Signing may sound daft to the end user, but you've got to remember why it's been put in place - the threat from mobile malware and viruses. Us techies might have the know-how to avoid the problem, but the majority of Symbian end-users are non-geeks. I'm sure the operators (i.e. the manufacturers' real customers) appreciate not having to field thousands of calls from users who have installed malware on their phones too. :)

Symbian 9.x and UIQ3 is almost 100% locked down and prevents the user from doing anything interesting - you can't even see half the file system on the device for example.

Are you using the built-in file browser? There's plenty of third-party file browsers available that give you way more functionality.

Caporegime
GuruJockStrap said:
Picture of the T-Mobile branded TyTN (Vario II):

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/5339.html

Not convinced by the claret colour scheme!

Heres a picture of the same phone but branded by Orange (M3100):

http://content.modaco.net/sporkguy/M3100.jpg
I can cope with that - least the back and front are pretty much untouched (the claret touches actually look ok, except for the keyboard) - looks better all silver front than black/silver IMO...

Im praying this is out by end of August...

this phone has serious problems with connecting to UMTS networks, particularly in areas where signal strength is low - sometimes it takes very long time to get connected to UMTS
Bit of concern really :(

Last edited:
Associate
Tunney said:
I agree that getting apps signed delays the release of software, but anyone creating freeware can get their app signed for free. Most games won't even need to be signed anyway, since signing is only needed when using restricted APIs (making calls, sending texts, accessing the network, etc.). Developers are actually appreciating Symbian Signing as it's a lot harder to crack signed apps. Piracy is a big concern for developers and the cost invovled with getting an app signed is likely to be peanuts compared to how much the developer could lose through illegal copying.

Symbian Signing may sound daft to the end user, but you've got to remember why it's been put in place - the threat from mobile malware and viruses. Us techies might have the know-how to avoid the problem, but the majority of Symbian end-users are non-geeks. I'm sure the operators (i.e. the manufacturers' real customers) appreciate not having to field thousands of calls from users who have installed malware on their phones too. :)
Whilst I understand developers wish to protect their IP and are within their rights to do so, implementing forced "DRM like" binary signing for applications is not the way to go IMO. At the very least the end user should be able to opt out of this on their own device to be able to install unsigned apps if they so choose (and operators could always turn the feature off on their own branded variants if they wanted). Devices could still shipped in a locked down mode by default, but at least I would have the option over whatever I choose to install.
With the way that Symbian has now been locked down, many useful functions (and I don't mean games here either) now force signing - you can't even create a screensaver without it needing to be signed, and personally I think the whole argument regarding reducing malware and security issues is missing the point - the whole signing process as it stands is a money spinner for Symbian right now - developers make money so they make money. Malware has never really been an issue on Symbian anyway.
Things might be different if developers could be assigned their own key to sign their own applications, but right now the whole process is very flawed - especially when dealing with bug fixes - even Nokia themselves have admitted it could well be a problem. Have a read of this S60.com blog post for some interesting discussion about the problem.
As for signing being free for freeware, well a good case in point - a developer over at the My-Symbian forums has now been waiting over three weeks for his application to be signed, and any further big fixes may face further delays. Free of not, the whole signing process will kill freeware, which IMO was always one of the best things Symbian based devices had going for them - a large base of developers writing and giving away their work. You can guarantee the turnaround would have been much less had the developer chosen to grease Symbian's palm and pay for the commercial service.

Tunney said:
Are you using the built-in file browser? There's plenty of third-party file browsers available that give you way more functionality.
Yes and even SE's own MyFileman app (which is actually a developer example and only lets you view the full structure of the C & D drives). Right now there are no other third party UIQ 3 file browsers available. You will never be able to see the protected A or Z drives like you used to be able to on UIQ2.x. Not a big deal but still slightly annoying.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I agree with everything that sl33pyhead has stated; I had a P900 before my P910 and for me as an end user all SE really had to do was put a decent camera on and add wifi, oh and bring out the phone back in January!

The predicted paucity of software for the P990 was the real nail in the coffin for me. One sometimes become unwittingly inured to a certain brand and it often takes a major catalytic event for one to change... this is it.

After seeing the amount of good software there is out for WM 5.0 and that a lot of the things I now use on my P900/P910 will no longer be there for me I was left little choice. As a techie the ability to tinker under the bonnet also appeals to me.

My brother also has Flext & WnW on his Vario and some of the thing he does on his phone with the combination are quite impressive. The only downsides I noticed were that it takes for ever to start up , well much longer than a P910i and it was a little slow. The new 400Mhz CPU (compared to 200mhz) in the Vario II should help with this. (you'll even be able to overclock it a little as well!) Oh and I forgot to mention that the Vario II now has a scroll wheel... one of the best unsung features on the P8/9XX.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well received a call from the place i pre-ordered and i should have my brand spanking new p990i with me on friday fingers crossed \o/ :D. Finally the wait is over, dont know how i managed to live without my p900 for such a long time.

Doesnt really bother me if SE announce a successor to the p990i as i will most probably get that as well:p. Now just waiting on SE to release the w850i walkman phone to finally kill my ipod off once and for all:p

Back
Top Bottom