vinyl to mp3

Associate
hi there

i have a load of 80s/90s house records that i would like to get onto my pc as mp3 files.
i have a turntable/mixer and an audigy1 sound card
would it be ok to have the mixer output go into the mic input on audigy? im concerened as to how good the quality will be.
is there any software i could use to improve the quality

cheers

matt

Soldato
Connect to the line input (blue usually) not the mic input and it might be ok. I expect the mixer has the RIAA compensation built in, use it's master outputs and just set the levels accordingly. It will sound the same as it did when played really. Some software can remove crackles etc should you desire.

Associate
OP
Energize said:
Audigy cards arent great for recording, make sure your using digital connections.

im not sure if my mixer has a digital out.
if not, should i get some sort of converter or something? phono to digital or is there no such thing?

i didnt take into account the recording, could i use wmp or winamp?

thanks for the input everyone

matt

Caporegime
The output really has to be digital iirc, analogue recording can degrade the audio. I'd be suprised if the phono output wasn't digital.

Last edited:
Soldato
mattux said:
im not sure if my mixer has a digital out.
if not, should i get some sort of converter or something? phono to digital or is there no such thing?

i didnt take into account the recording, could i use wmp or winamp?

thanks for the input everyone

matt

I use Audacity.

Soldato
Energize said:
The output really has to be digital iirc, analogue recording can degrade the audio. I'd be suprised if the phono output wasn't digital.

Erm, vinyl = analogue. If the mixer has an ADC then it'll make the process a bit easier, but in actual fact analogue recording won't sound too bad if you filter out the crackles.

Soldato
I found recording via the soundcard was rubbish.

I bought a USB - audio converter (now defunct Roland UA30) but overclockers or others may supply similar.

This has phono / digital in and out. Very good quality dac

Man of Honour
I've transferred well over 600 vinyl albums over the years using AWE 32's, Soundblaster Live's and Audigy's and the results are excellent.
The only problem is getting the signal up to a good level because going stright off a record deck is a bit low. If you're coming off your turntable which is then going through your hifi amp then no problem but keep the master volume down to number 2 and gradually bring it up without a distortion being present.
I use Soundforge to transfer my vinyl because its an absolute doddle to seperate the tracks and also clean the clicks up etc. I then put it through the normalise function.
Anybody who says the Audigy analogue inputs are crap for capturing vinyl are talking through their bum.

Soldato
Yes, the inputs and integrated ADC's on the Audigy cards arn't bad. It's not like if the mixer had an internal ADC it would certainly be better. It could be, but it's not some kind of definate.

Just connect from the mixer analogue outs to the Audigy line in's and set up to record. I have a mixer connected to my Audigy 2's input all the time and I have set it up so the level displayed by the mixer's LED bargraph corresponds to the record level. If your mixer has a bargraph, or even just a clipping indicator, just set it up accurately once and you should be able to make good level recordings from there on.

Back
Top Bottom