• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New server, replace 2 x Athlon MP's

Soldato
Right all,
Time to upgrade my homeserver, it's chugging a bit.
What does a nice x2 3800+ sound like to replace 2 x Athlon MP1600's???
Pair it with 2 gig ram, and I reckon it would be great, I have an S939 AGP mobo already...

And, then, on the same line, I could replace the other system with something along the lines of a PCI-E setup....

mmmmm - would the x2 be much better, or would a proper dually setup be better?

Soldato
Whats wrong with your old server? seems a pretty decent spec to me?!? What are you doing with it? If it's just file sharing and/or some simple web stuff then keep your money a 3800 and 2 gig of ram is well overkill be better off with an old P3 to keep the electricity bill down!

Soldato
OP
Hehehe
Well, it's noisy because of the fans, the spec is ok, but I do a lot of video processing and it's getting a bit sllooowwww.
BAsically, I can probably get a better performance from a single x2, just wondered if anyone agreed/disagreed??

Associate
i rekon it would be a good upgrade. You should be able to OC the 3800 if you wanted to aswell. They all seem to be reaching 2.4/2.5ghz easily on air.
They are a bargain price at the moment too especially since you have the motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom