Cheap but silent case

Associate
As the title says this is what I am looking for.

Cooling isnt so much an issue as I am not overclocking, I just want the case to limit noise to as little as possible. at the minute i only have one case fan and my CPU cooler which is a Gigabyte (GH-PDU21-MF) G-Power set to the lowest speed, providing me ample cooling on my little xp 2400+. Although I am willing to invest more cash if I am able to quieten this thing down.

I have been tempted with the Antec P180 Advanced Super Midi Tower Case cause of its looks, but it is fairly expensive and Im not sure whether I will notice any difference.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Soldato
Antec Solo Quiet Mini Tower Case - No PSU (CA-058-AN)

It has elastic mounting for HDs, 120mm rear fan etc. What case do you have at the moment and what are the rest of your specs? It might be the HDs/graphics cooler/PSU making all the noise.

Associate
OP
Not sure what the case is really, prob didnt cost more than 15 if u know what i mean.

Spec's:
Athlon 2400+ Socket A
MSI KT880 Delta-FSR Mobo
2 x Kingston 512MB DDR PC3200
1 x Sapphire Radeon 9550 256MB DDR AGP8x
2 x Maxtor 6L080M0 Plus 10 80GB 7200RPM SATA/150
Hiper HPU-3s350 PSU
Gigabyte (GH-PDU21-MF) G-Power

As I said, i really think its the CPU fan making most of the noise, i have disabled the case fan and this makes a tiny diff, and PSU is fairly quiet.

Thanks

Associate
OP
Do you know what speed his fans were running? My 120mm CPU fan is running at roughly 1600rpm, which is roughly 21.3dBA accoring to the manufacturers site.

Does nearly silent mean that in a silent room you can barely hear it?

Thanks.

Soldato
A seasonic 430w PSU and to replace just the CPU fan as there arent many socket coolers available. The Akasa amber should be fine for this although you would have to find a way of mounting it yourself.

Soldato
The Akasa Carnival cooler is an ok socket A cooler.

Don't change your case, as a new case will not do anything if the components are noisey already.

Associate
OP
I am quite happy with the CPU cooler to be hounest as when I come to upgrade in a few weeks it will fit my new chip, as it has multiple mounts.

Is the seasonic PSU very quiet then? After just turning the CPU fan off again that I would be able to cope with the CPU noise, and if i was able to basically eliminate the PSU then I would be happy.

Would a better build case then take the last edge of the CPU cooler?

Thanks

Soldato
Quiet cases are a gimmic, if something makes noise in your case, it will still make noise in a quiet case.

CD Drive noise can be elimated or at least reduced with a door, but that is about it.

The Seasonic PSUs are very quiet, good solid PSUs and one of the better ones, certainly an upgrade from what you have.

Associate
OP
Really.

Have you had any experience with my PSU?

As when I got it i expected it to be a quiet PSU as it was boxed as as a super silent one, which should only produce 18dBA, which is quiet.

Soldato
Its probably twice that. ;)

Hipers are bad PSUs for noise, right across the range. Both Hyper and Hiper.

Although Hiper are better, nowhere near silent.

Associate
OP
Oh right, well wish id have found these forums before i started experimenting with new hardware!

So you believe the seasonic will make a big difference compared to my hiper?

Associate
OP
I really apperciate your time and reviews on these products, and believe your definately the people to believe!

But after a quick browse of the web I found this statement:

"airflow of 70.5CFM at just 33dBA and 1650RPM."

My CPU fan runs at 1600rpm (roughly) and should onlu produce 21dBA, so does this mean it will be a lot louder than this?

I dont want to invest this money and not actually see any improvement for 50quid?

Thanks

Soldato
The ratings fans get are a load of rubbish.

You see that 33db reading could have been taken from a nuclear falloutshelted 2 miles away, makes the 33db semm a lot louder then!

If your after a PSU, get a Seasonic or Tagan for low noise.

Akasa Amber and Acoustifan Dustproofs are the way to go with case fans, depending on how much money you have.

Don't as me for stats, I don't know them but the Amber is quieter than Thermaltakes 14db 100CFM fan from three years ago, and it also pushes more air.

*I am certain Thermaltake lied :p*

Back
Top Bottom