ADSL migration - timescales/downtime?

Man of Honour
Having been with Nildram ADSL for approaching 5 years now, I have never actually changed ADSL isp. What I'd like to know is some sort of walkthrough/timescales for the migration, e.g.

Do we just get a MAC code and contact another isp?
How long does it take to migrate?
How much downtime is required?

This would be from MAX onto some other standard adsl package like freeserve via standard bt dsl or whatever.

Caporegime
HangTime said:
Do we just get a MAC code and contact another isp?

Yup.

How long does it take to migrate?

In theory 7 days. In reality it could be 24 hours.

How much downtime is required?

Potentially none, or as long as it takes for your modem to authenticate with the new ISP after you've entered your username and password.

You should change from IPStream Max to ordinary IPStream at the same time, but that's dependent on the winning ISP having a clue.

Can't say I'd recommend FreeSwerve/Wanadon't/Orange, but that's another story.

Man of Honour
OP
tolien said:
Can't say I'd recommend FreeSwerve/Wanadon't/Orange, but that's another story.

The connection won't actually be for me as I've just bought a house and hence am moving out of my father's house. Freeserve was just an example (his email account is still with them from dialup days) as I haven't really decided who to go with yet.

Had a quick look about and currently Eclipse look quite promising as I've heard good things about them before (touted along with Zen as rivals for Nildram), and they are offering 8mbit MAX at £9.99/month with 2gig usage allowance.

Good news about the lack of downtime. Last time I looked into it was before MAC and it was all cease-and-reprovides.

Soldato
HangTime said:
The connection won't actually be for me as I've just bought a house and hence am moving out of my father's house. Freeserve was just an example (his email account is still with them from dialup days) as I haven't really decided who to go with yet.

Had a quick look about and currently Eclipse look quite promising as I've heard good things about them before (touted along with Zen as rivals for Nildram), and they are offering 8mbit MAX at £9.99/month with 2gig usage allowance.

Good news about the lack of downtime. Last time I looked into it was before MAC and it was all cease-and-reprovides.

You'd probably be better off on Evolution Option 1 rather than Home Broadband Option 1 as you get a lot more usage for your money, even if the speeds aren't going to be as high (though there don't seem to be much of a difference between the contention levels)

Man of Honour
OP
True, I never even looked at the Evolution options as I (wrongly) assumed they would cost more due to being for heavier users.

The only downside I can see with Eclipse is the 12 month contract (or having to pay an activation fee).

Caporegime
HangTime said:
The only downside I can see with Eclipse is the 12 month contract (or having to pay an activation fee).

Fair Usage Policy

why do we have a fair usage policy?

Eclipse Internet is committed to ensuring our customers receive the best broadband performance for a competitive price.

To achieve this goal we provide a contended broadband service. This means our Internet bandwidth is shared with all our customers at any one point in time to ensure we provide a great performance. read more

However, a small number of customers use more than their “fair share” of Internet bandwidth during peak hours*. We often see less than 1% of customers using a disproportionate amount of Internet bandwidth. These customers degrade the performance of our broadband service by taking bandwidth away from customers who use the service fairly.

In summary, we wish to be fair to you and our services are “unlimited” for normal usage.

how will I be affected?

You should only be affected by the fair usage policy if you use file sharing software such as peer to peer (p2p), file transfer (ftp) or binary newsgroups (USENET) during peak hours*.

If you exceed the fair usage limit for your product then your broadband contention will be increased and the performance of your broadband will degrade. We will email you to confirm you have exceeded your fair usage limit. Restrictions will only be applied if you exceed your fair usage limit in two consecutive months.

At the end of the month, your fair usage limits are reset and your broadband contention will return to normal. We will not email you to confirm your fair usage limits have been reset.

P2P shaping = lose! For a few quid more a month you get IDNet 8MB, 30GB, no shaping etc whatsoever.

Caporegime
Yeah i didnt have any downtime at all, got my MAC from Tiscali then gave it to AOL, continued to use Tiscali while the migration was going through, 7 days later i could'nt connect to Tiscali anymore, so i just logged onto AOL instead and voila. :)

Man of Honour
OP
Richdog said:
P2P shaping = lose! For a few quid more a month you get IDNet 8MB, 30GB, no shaping etc whatsoever.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the connection is for my father. I doubt he even knows what P2P is.

Personally, I can live with P2P shaping anyway. But traffic shaping of FTP is well out of order (can they shape SSL ftp on non-standard ports? hmmm....) and something I would steer clear of if choosing a connection for myself.

Even then, the shaping only seems to take effect if you exceed 20gig for 2 months running from what I can see. The chances of that being exceeded will be very slim once I've moved out.

Caporegime
HangTime said:
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the connection is for my father. I doubt he even knows what P2P is.

Ahh I missed that bit, thought it was for you! Thought about IDNet? Customer service is second to none, very "father friendly" (if your dads anything like mine lol). :)

Back
Top Bottom