Need a multi-purpose sound card

Permabanned
So i need a new sound card as mine just isn't up to par atm. I currently have a Soundblaster live! 24bit. My new one;

Needs low latency ASIO and at least 1 jack input (i'll be recording guitar through jack and microphone through jack).
Needs MIDI - i will be using a midi controller (ROLAND PC).
Needs to produce good sound - not only will i be recording but playing back is essential as i'll be listening to music listening to game music and movies.

So basically i need it to record well for a solo musician, use midi well but also be good for gaming and movies. Price doesn't matter too much, if it's worth it i am willing to invest. I was originally thinking the creative X-Fi Fatal1ty but want some other opinions before i choose on anything. Cheers

So basically i need it to record well for a solo musician, use midi well but also be good for gaming and movies.

that makes it little hard, the x-fi is a good allrounder, you have surround for movies and games and also the ability to record using it's line in input (or more if you use the i/o drive/box), *but* if your getting into recording solo's and using midi etc then I think something like the Audiophile 192 would be much better suited to your needs, sound quality-wise this card is leagues ahead of the x-fi and it's crystaliser gimmick :rolleyes: , the only problem is that it's stereo so that may put a downer on your gaming (unless you use headphones) and movies, personally I think better quality stereo sound is more inportant tho,

here's a pic of the m-audio 192 to give you an idea of the in's/out's, average price on the net seems to be around £95inc vat

Last edited:
Soldato
Tough call. X-Fi would be better for gaming and movies, M-Audio for pure audio quality. I'd probably go for X-Fi because it's so good for games and movies and also very good (if not quite as good as M-audio) for music.

As for the Crystalizer (was the rolleyes above really necessary?), you can just turn it off if you don't like it. And it's irrelevant for recording anyway as you can bypass all the gizmos in the Audio Creation Mode.

If you're after an all-rounder the X-Fi is the way to go.

Soldato
Id go for the 192 my self and if you are that desperate for surround which i doubt what you are you could always get the cheap x-fi for movies.

Games are best with a stereo headset.

You need to think what you want out of the soundcard. As you need good recording abilities as you are a solo musician. Id go for the 192 a no brainer really.

But if you think you can't live without surround get the x-fi.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
i only have a 2.1 set of speakers so i'll assume surround sound wouldn't matter! i'll look into the 192 cheers guys :)

Back
Top Bottom