What constitutes a damaged passport?

Associate
Howdy,

We have had a bit of a problem with one of our passorts. It is only 9 months old but some perfume has managed to work its way between the laminate (BTW it is not my perfume or passport ;) ). This has left a slight water mark that runs up and over the photo.

Apart from that is is still in "perfect" condition, with all info readable and the machine readable code is fine.

Now the dilemma, nobody will give us an indication of if it needs replacing? Short of going up to Gatwick and asking a passport official and asking their opinion, what would you do?

Remember it is in tip top condition, but with a slight watermark in the laminated section. No creases or other stuff.

I say don't bother replacing as it is still 100% readable.

?

Associate
OP
Here is a pic, the water mark goes over the photo...

passportyb7.jpg

Associate
leave it, odds are itll be fine, if theres a problem theyll tell you at the country your entering, itll take extra time but theyll check it and certainly let you in, at worst theyll confiscate it and youll have to get one from an embassy but thats very unlikely, mines in much worse state, been through the wash, edges are messed up, never had a problem even entering the US!

Soldato
If the photograph and the details are legible, I would say it's OK. My passport has similar (water) damage and no one has said anything yet.

Last edited:
Associate
Pinter75 said:
Yeah the details are 100% fine and the pic is too. It is just a big hassle getting a replacement, she starts as an air hostess in less that 7 days!

even less likely to a problem then i reckon, since i presume shes already been through the airline checks!

Soldato
My passport has been through the washing machine!
the laminate is a bit crinkled and the colour slightly washed in places but I havent had a problem with it so far, maybe Ive been super lucky

Soldato
I am Passport & Visa trained, and whilst I would more than likely accept that, I would question the damage to the passport.

When your girlfriend next gets a chance, get her to ask a Customs staff member at the airport. They have far more in depth training and should be able to give her a direct answer.

Any Passport with laminate damage should be questioned.

Soldato
Severin said:
leave it, odds are itll be fine, if theres a problem theyll tell you at the country your entering, itll take extra time but theyll check it and certainly let you in, at worst theyll confiscate it and youll have to get one from an embassy but thats very unlikely, mines in much worse state, been through the wash, edges are messed up, never had a problem even entering the US!

If she or any passenger is refused entry, he/she will be sent straight back to the UK and the handling agent/airline will be fined.

If my own Passport were damaged, I would get it replaced straight away to save any possible issues.

Back
Top Bottom