• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Question aboute opty!!!

Associate
Hi

Can some one explain how the opty steppings work (144,146,148)
they seem very complicated.

any help would be realy apretiated

Thank you very much!!! :) :)

Associate
Simply put its all about the multipliers, i know the 146 has a 10 multiplier i think the 148 is 11 and the 146 a 9 but only really sure on the 146, a quick google search should give you the correct answer though

Soldato
Here's how it works.

Opteron 144 - Mutliplier of 9
Opteron 146 - Mutliplier of 10
Opteron 148 - Mutliplier of 11

So, usually FSB of 200. Opteron 146 would be 200 x 10 = 2.0GHz

Associate
OP
matt1 said:
Here's how it works.

Opteron 144 - Mutliplier of 9
Opteron 146 - Mutliplier of 10
Opteron 148 - Mutliplier of 11

So, usually FSB of 200. Opteron 146 would be 200 x 10 = 2.0GHz

Ok now i understand that but whats this i copied and pasted it of an ebay listing:
CAB2E 0548FPDW

Thanks
Reece :)

Soldato
That's the stepping.

CAB2E 0548FPDW

Bit in bold means it was manufacturerd in 2005 of week 48. FPDW has something do with what day of the week it was made (if I recall) and what batch of wafer was used, something techy like that but it's a long time ago I read about it.

Associate
OP
matt1 said:
That's the stepping.

CAB2E 0548FPDW

Bit in bold means it was manufacturerd in 2005 of week 48. FPDW has something do with what day of the week it was made (if I recall) and what batch of wafer was used, something techy like that but it's a long time ago I read about it.

so what would the best steping be to overclock
and what would the worst be.

so that if i ever bought one i would know wich one to buy

Soldato
I wouldn't know the best stepping at the moment, it changes from time to time when a new set of chips are produced. A good place to checkout is XtremeSystems Forums, they have a lot of regular posts about steppings and overclocks. From memory (and experience) the 0540 FPxW Opteron 146s were the best, 3GHz easily, but this may have changed. :D

Associate
OP
matt1 said:
I wouldn't know the best stepping at the moment, it changes from time to time when a new set of chips are produced. A good place to checkout is XtremeSystems Forums, they have a lot of regular posts about steppings and overclocks. From memory (and experience) the 0540 FPxW Opteron 146s were the best, 3GHz easily, but this may have changed. :D

Thanks a lot for your help and that link!!!! :) :) :)

Soldato
stigggeh said:
you can get a rough idea from here

http://wiki.extremeoverclocking.com/wiki/Opteron (link nicked from on of Cymatty's posts :p )

Haha, nice, is there anything wiki doesn't do. :rolleyes:

But be careful, take some of that with a pinch of salt, such as:

CAB2E All weeks are hitting about 3.0ghz+ except the 0546 FPDW, which has never been seen above 2.8ghz, even at 1.6v.

I know for a fact that isn't true, stable overclock anyway.

Soldato
matt1 said:
Haha, nice, is there anything wiki doesn't do. :rolleyes:

But be careful, take some of that with a pinch of salt, such as:

I know for a fact that isn't true, stable overclock anyway.

yeah like i say its a 'rough idea' like most things overclocking its chip dependant :D steppings give ball part figures nothing is set in stone from steppings, just 'more' chance of getting a good clock

Back
Top Bottom