Printer sharing / files take a long time to print

Associate
Epson D88 installed on computer A, shared via Netgear D834G (wired) with computer in the next room (computer B). When printing from B, it takes 50-60 seconds for the printer to start printing (both computers are turned on). The drivers are also installed on B and everything is ticked as shared in Control Panel. This didn't used to happen with our other Epson printer.

Any suggestions? Once it seems to receive the instruction, it prints as quick as ever. But it takes ages to get it from B. No firewall on either computer.

Also, if I wanted to share the printer without having computer A on (the one it's physically connected to) how would I do that?

Thanks.

Soldato
It isn't clear from your post - are both computers wired to the router?

Print jobs can be pretty big so sending them over wireless can be slow resulting in a longish time for printing to start. That said, 50s or so does seem excessively slow.

Associate
OP
Yes, both are wired to the router. Computer A is directly connected to the printer via USB.

It obviously 'works', as stuff does print after 50 seconds or so, but there must be a reason why it cannot do it straight away.

They're not big jobs, it's the same length of time for any print job. E.g. if i type "hi" in a Word document, it takes the same amount of time as a photoshop .psd

Associate
How much free RAM have you got in that slow printing PC? I have seen computers with 256MB RAM print very slowly as the printer driver is pushed into the background.

One customer had a laptop, 256MB RAM, various programs running (including Zone Alarm eating 30-50MB). When printing it would take up to 10 minutes to print out. When we killed all running programs (especially Zone Alarm), the printouts were instant again.

So we bought some more RAM for the PC. All was fine from then on. :)

Also go and check for the latest drivers with the manufacturer. If you are still using the versions from the CD, then you would have missed various updates.

Soldato
Spuderoony:

I had the same problem, my set up was as follows, Epson Stylus Photo R200 connected to Host (main computer), via USB, Host computer connected to internet via USB modem, Client computer networked to Host computer via CAT6 crossover cable, ICS, File sharing and Print sharing turned on.

Was able to print document on Client computer with both computers and epson printer turned on, BUT like you, it took about 60 seconds from when I click OK, on drivers for the actual Espon printer to start printing. With me it was nothing to do with Ram, as both computers have each 2GBs of Ram.

It simply must have been something to do with the way the command was dealt with on the Host computer, after receiving it from the Client computer.

Now I have a router with a print server, both computers and Epson printer are connected to router, however on both computers when I print a document, the Epson printer starts to print afer 2-3 seconds. :)

Associate
Could you try disabling any firewalls between the PCs. Also, check you are using the same username/passwords on both PCs, i have had trouble in the past with authentication and printer sharing.

All the best

Associate
OP
Thanks a lot jbloggs, that's very helpful.

So if I bought Netgear PS121 USB Print Server (NW-096-NG) (bottom of this page - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Print_Servers.html ), that would solve my problem? Currently have the computers wired to the D834G, as stated before. I think it is, just want to check before I buy.

And thanks matt, all firewalls are disabled. Might try the username thing if buying the print server doesn't work, though.

Soldato
Spuderoony:

I think it should be fine, and solve the problem of the lag in printing.

Basically, after connecting that to your router, it is the same set up as my own (although my print server is part of the router). :)

Back
Top Bottom