Recommend me a Cable router

Man of Honour
I'm getting NTL installed at the weekend and I'll probably need some kind of wireless cable router as the office is upstairs. My requirements are:

-Must offer very low latency
-Must have at least 100mbit full duplex switch
-Must have ethernet ports as well as 54g wireless
-Preferably easy to configure
-Nothing excessively expensive (no budget per se but under £70 would be good)

Any recommendations?

From looking around I get the impression that unlike ADSL, most cable routers seem to simply daisy chain onto the standard modem rather than replace it altogether.

Caporegime
Once again, I'd suggest a Linksys WRT54GL. Fills all your requirements, and has the option of (feature enhancing) non-Linksys firmware. For more details, www.linksysinfo.org is your friend.

Don't think a router exists that doesn't just use your existing cable modem - not that the cableco would let you just change your modem anyway.

Associate
i suggest the D-Link DGL-4300

a shame you weren't looking for one earlier as OCUK were selling off their last few at a very reasonable price. The D-Link DGL-4300 is one of the very few routers for the home market that has some form of QOS (only on upload, they call it "game fuel" ) so latency sensitive apps like VOIP and online games get a decent ping even on a busy network. Plus it has gigabit lan as an added bonus.

I have one myself and am very happy with it. With 3-4 computers sharing a 10meg connection (including someone who p2p's like mad) even when under a lot of load (by that i mean concurrent connections and not bandwidth) i'm able to get a decent connection on my computer.

Before, on my old netgear rp114, if someone was heavily running bittorrent no one else was able to even load a webpage. The router just couldn't handle so many connections. With the D-Link, bittorent packets are flagged as low priority so we the connection is still usable in my house :)

Caporegime
hsp70 said:
The D-Link DGL-4300 is one of the very few routers for the home market that has some form of QOS (only on upload, they call it "game fuel" ) so latency sensitive apps like VOIP and online games get a decent ping even on a busy network.

The WRT has it too, including layer 7 packet inspection (though you probably need something like DD-WRT to use it), for what it's worth.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom