New Honda Civic Type R

Associate
So what does everyone think of the concept photos of the Civic Type R?

I must say Im pretty tempted already.. even though I just got a Fiesta ST at the start of the month!

When are these due on the streets? And whats the cost gonna be?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Unlight said:
And whats the cost gonna be?

The cost will be that you are doomed to own a car with no torque low down.

/Honda owner baiting mode off.

Dunno really. I hate the look of the new model - the old one was at least fairly inoffensive, this new one seems a bit too determined to be 'different'. It'll probably be pretty good, and it will certainly be reliable mechanically, but I reckon I can think up a few ways to spend the money on something better.

Associate
If the interior will be anything like the standard civic I'll be giving it a miss, may be spaceage but I just think it's too cluttered.

Outside it looks fab though.

Associate
I had a look at the new type R at the motorshow in london. In my own opinion i dont like it and i dont like the new civic all together. Would rather have the last civic type R instead or even better a Dc5 integra. The styling os trying to be futuristic with the new civic and just is not my style.

Soldato
I personally can't stand the new civic so putting a body kit on it doesn't do anything for me.

However no doubt it will still be and excellent car if you can get past the looks.

olv

olv

Soldato
the wheels look ridiculously big in the flesh, stupid. that was the over riding impression i got at the motorshow. that and pearlescent white really isn't a good look.

Soldato
Squark said:
I thought I read somewhere that the wheels would be smaller rims on the production model, compared to the show car

Yeah, i think i read that they were putting 19" or 20" alloys on the demo car but would be reduced to 17" in production.

Permabanned
Test drove a CDTI a while back, very futuristic, but that gets boring very quickly, had my demo for a week and the novelty wore off quick!

The chassis didnt seem all that great for a sport model, but the engine was very good for a diesel, but still suffered from the usual diesel powerband issues, the speedo and rev counter setup annoyed me loads, as did the poxy spoiler in the rear window.

I like the front but the rear looks like a daewoo.

I dont think its a great car to start with so i cant see the TYPE R being much better apart from the engine, i do hope they keep the gear stick in the same place tho, the gear change in the old type r is a peach, really is.

Apparently they will do a type RR too?

Soldato
JRS said:
The cost will be that you are doomed to own a car with no torque low down.

/Honda owner baiting mode off.

ERM

Don't you know theres no torque high up either? :p

Im undecided about the new one - theres bits of it i like and bits of it i hate. I can see aftermarket exhausts costly a kidney.

Soldato
wohoo said:
so i cant see the TYPE R being much better apart from the engine,

Isnt it going to be the same engine as in the current CTR?

Personally I wouldnt buy the new one after owning the old one but thats my opinion. I dont see the point in paying for the new car when its going to have the same engine.

Also i cant see Honda sticking with those rims, they are too big for the arches.

Soldato
A problem might be that while the competition have upped the stakes in power, flexibility and drivability terms, Honda are sticking with their i-VTEC unit unaltered. With the advent of the Clio 197, plus much more meaty offerings from Ford, Vauxhall, Seat and Volkswagen, can Honda retain it's niche? The new Civic is also heavier than before, as you'd expect.

Soldato
Absolutely love it, debating whether to buy one or not but dont think I can justify it. Maybe I'll look at picking one up second hand 12-18 months after release.

Stunning in white.

civictyper06.jpg

Soldato
Seriously - I'd wait to see if a JDM model gets produced. It'll be much more the real deal.

Within 3 months there will be a model report on it which means importers will have a field day.

Back
Top Bottom