Celica replacement for the misses

Man of Honour
It looks like the back problems my g/fs been getting are mainly down to her celica (2001 1.8 jobber) Shes not overly keen on getting rid but i'm pretty keen on her not being in agony all the time so what would you recomend as a less harsh rideing alternative that fits within her (slightly fussy) requirements:

Not VW, Seat or French (bad experiances) or BMW (doesn't like them full stop)
2001+
~9k
no worse mpg (36)
no worse servicing costs
has to have aircon + pas
has to look "special" ( i have no idea! )
but most importantly has to have a good ride quality
edit: oh and a drop tops out cause it messes up her hair - i dunno, women ;)

cheers me dears

Sam

Man of Honour
OP
Memphis said:
This is probably a completely stupid suggestion, but if she is keen on the Celica, why not just change the seats?

think the main problem with the celica is the suspension - its a seriously harsh ride so just changing the seats proberbly won't work :(

the mazda 3 / focus isn't a bad idea. Don't think shes overly keen on the focus looks wise but the mazda might swing it - shame you can't get the mps for 10k yet thou :)

Caporegime
Siliconslave said:
the mazda 3 / focus isn't a bad idea. Don't think shes overly keen on the focus looks wise but the mazda might swing it - shame you can't get the mps for 10k yet thou :)

if u go for any sport/performance model - MPS u will find the suspension to be harsher... just find a nice slushy 1.6 box and have done with it!

Pug

Pug

Soldato
is the suspension stock or does it have aftermarkets/coilovers fitted?

I dont find the suspension on mine (standard) overly harsh - have they been setup/messed with at all?

Is the MR2 any better maybe (doubt it)?

Hers is prefacelift - 2003 on is facelift i think - maybe the seats are different/suspension better? I assume hers is the 140? should get a 140 facelift for around that money, tho ride may be unaltered...

Hyundai coupés can be unreliable cheap and and nasty, i'd avoid tbh. Shame she doesnt want french - Megane coupé is a decent little car, but i think as has been said - anything with sporty intentions will likely have a stiffer ride...

Man of Honour
OP
Pug said:
is the suspension stock or does it have aftermarkets/coilovers fitted?

I dont find the suspension on mine (standard) overly harsh - have they been setup/messed with at all?

its a stock 140 with the sports pack - so the suspension is normal, but has the 17" wheels and decent spoiler - the problem is the roads around us are rubish, even the m3 is pretty bumpy :( and while it doesn't bother me atall its really messing with her back

Soldato
Maybe she should get a Rav4 or a CR-V or something where you sit up high.

Certainly, she should look at small 4x4 type cars - they might be kinder on the back.

Man of Honour
OP
D4VE said:
Maybe she should get a Rav4 or a CR-V or something where you sit up high.

Certainly, she should look at small 4x4 type cars - they might be kinder on the back.

yer, think shes kinda tempted by them, although i still see pretty much all 4x4s as evil pointles child-killing polluters.... (excluding the 1% that are actually used off road) but you can get some of the smaller ones as 2wd can't you...

Soldato
Siliconslave said:
yer, think shes kinda tempted by them, although i still see pretty much all 4x4s as evil pointles child-killing polluters.... (excluding the 1% that are actually used off road) but you can get some of the smaller ones as 2wd can't you...

Yeah the Honda FR-V and CR-V are small-ish and have small engines so they arent evil really.
Same for the Toyota RAV4.

Although whether these cars are nice in any way I dont know.

Saabs are extemely comfy, although quite large. Ride is soft and unsporty, but that sounds like what she needs.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
New seats and new suspension then :)

Coilover setups like H+R have improved damping rates that, on the Clios at least, give a much better ride than standard. Soaks up the bumps a lot better.

Back
Top Bottom