• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI or NVIDIA

Associate
OP
I can get that money if i sold my laptop i might reconsider everything and might do that. is all that stuff off overclockers?

is it worth buying that prossesor mines 2.66Ghz
and the AMD is 1.80?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, they are much more efficient...

Could you get CPU-Z and see what motherboard you have, also what socket the CPU is, from what I have found it looks like a socket 478 board but I might be wrong. If you can stretch your budget get the x1800xt as it is quite a bit faster than the 7600GS.

And yep, all from OCuk

Soldato
kurtoski06 said:
{snip}is it worth buying that prossesor mines 2.66Ghz
and the AMD is 1.80?
I keep getting asked this & keep on shouting back that the MHz war ended! The architecture of newer processor means that they don't have to run at xxxxMHz to perform, case in point the new 1.86GHz Intel Core 2 DUO E6300 (see here). Also no offence but that's a Celeron to make matters worse :(

Like suggested you need to upgrade the whole machine. Current PC would be a serious bottleneck to any GFX, though think its incompatible with mobo (i.e. being PCI-Express & not AGP) :cool:

Soldato
lol...if we're going down that road.

ATI- Shader Model 3 done properly! (HDR+AA)
But please lets not let this descend in to fanboy zealousy.

To the OP, if you let us know what sort of your budget you'd have to play with, let us spec you up. These days even Intel have realised that efficiency is more important than MHz (they used it as marketing BS for years, to make masses think more is better), and the Celeron...well, I hear rumours that monkeys in indian sweat shops have more computing power these days, all those additives in the food and that...

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd like to point out Im not a zealot, and have owned Nvidia and ATI card. My loyalty is where the performance/wallet lies. :)

As I say, OP come back with a budget and let all us scary people spec you up something. You may be astonished by what sort of strength gaming pc you can get these days for a relatively low price.

Will blow PC World etc out of the water, for higher end kit.

Associate
Slogan said:
nVIDIA - The Way It's Meant To Be Played

Since when is it meant to be played with only HDR or AA and not both? :confused: :p

Alexrose1uk said:
lol...if we're going down that road.

ATI- Shader Model 3 done properly! (HDR+AA)

That'll teach him :p

Alexrose1uk said:
My loyalty is where the performance/wallet lies. :)

ATI Radeon X1800XT 256MB ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
At the moment thats correct, 1800xt. Before the price drops on that, the mid perf king was the 7600GT from NVidia. I have the x1900xt, as I got it on the original price drops, and 6 months ago, just over £260 was godly for an x1900xt. Some rivals had it still selling for almost £400!

Soldato
Would be good for Nvidia if it could. Features can lose a lot of sales if they're lacking, and USABLE in current applications by the opponent. I'd like to see Nvidia do this, as it encourages more competition, meaning lower prices and faster GPUs for us!

Caporegime
I cant see how this thread should turn into a flame fest tbh, the best card for the price is the x1800 XT 256mb, that is a fact, its got nothing at all to do with ppls preferances at all, if i had a Nv card even i would say the x1800, as at that price it is the best. :)

Associate
PinkFloyd said:
I've got an Nvidia card here. I'm vcertainly recomending the X1800XT, plus also wishing I had one :p
mmm HDR and AA

I love my X1800XT soo much :D :D :D plus now if someone is mad enough to pay £40 extra for a 7900GT they may as well add the little extra for that X1900XT at £235 :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Graeme43 said:
Were you changing the cooler or something? :confused: I may be doing that soon, don't wanna break mine :)
Worse, I was reseating the VF900 cooler and didn't actually plug the fan in. A short while of web browsing and sizzle. :( Going to buy a new one as soon as I can afford it, shouldn't be long. :)

Back
Top Bottom