Good chainsaws?

Associate
Edinho said:
There arnt many things that scare me, but chainsaws. I have visions of starting one and it going straight for me head. :o

Wait til ya get a kickback, it's when the nose of the saw hits something, because of the way the chain moves it kicks the saw straight up and towards you, that's why they are always offset so you use them at the side, i've had 2 near miss kickbacks and they surely do wake you up!

Suspended
OP
Update- got one of those B&D Alligators, not bad for cutting through medium sized branches. Plenty of torque.

Will need a chainsaw for further down the tree though.

Suspended
OP
Update- got one of those B&D Alligators, not bad for cutting through medium sized branches. Plenty of torque.

Will need a chainsaw for further down the tree though.

Associate
I worked as a lumberjack in Russia for some time, used different chainsaws and found Husqvarna to be the best. Very robust, professional tools.
Stihl is very good but not as robust imo.

Suspended
OP
singist said:
Surely, if you're not gonna be using it regular like, it's off with you to the hire shoppe?

Daily hire will probably be similar to brand new one...and at least can use the tool whenever you want. If a big job takes several days of cutting might as well just buy it in the first place.

Associate
Zheka said:
I worked as a lumberjack in Russia for some time, used different chainsaws and found Husqvarna to be the best. Very robust, professional tools.
Stihl is very good but not as robust imo.

Whenever I pick up a stihl after using a Husqy it feels like a toy chainsaw :p

Suspended
OP
ok just cut down the conifer, using a eletric Black & Decker. I had to do mostt of the work, rather than the tool doing it for me.

Had to apply quite a bit of pressure onto the stump, probalb 10kg is that normal? It has a metal spikey thing near the base of the blade. Pushing that into the bark and rotating seemed to help, like a lever effect. Dunno if the chain was blunt, the edge didn't have sharp fish hook type cutter, bit worn.

Soldato
squiffy said:
ok just cut down the conifer, using a eletric Black & Decker. I had to do mostt of the work, rather than the tool doing it for me.

Had to apply quite a bit of pressure onto the stump, probalb 10kg is that normal? It has a metal spikey thing near the base of the blade. Pushing that into the bark and rotating seemed to help, like a lever effect. Dunno if the chain was blunt, the edge didn't have sharp fish hook type cutter, bit worn.

Arrgh :eek:
Like any tool, there's no way you should have to push on the saw to get it to do anything- It should do all the work for you. Pushing down on it is only increasing the chance of you slipping, & you can do some pretty nasty damage to yourself even with a cheap saw.
Again, a blunt chain is not a good idea, same as a blunt knife.

Be careful, & I'd seriously advise getting a professional in- Chainsaw certificates are there for a reason.

-Leezer-

Suspended
OP
Yeah not going to use that CS again, something wasn't right as our new B&D Alligator cuts through 4" branches with ease.

Going to buy a new one.

Suspended
OP
Bought the Husqvarna 321EL, just done some clearing up of the felled stumps/branches. wow...like a hot knife through butter, unlike the other one. That was like a butter knife through frozen meat. Didn't need to apply pressure at all the weight of the chainsaw itself was enough to cut through . Nice clean cuts.

Wish I bought it before, although I was in the branches, if I made a mistake with the other one probably come off with lesser injuries. The new one has automatic oil lubrication (other is manual) also the new one stops really quickly, the other takes a few seconds to stop.

The B&D Alligator is good when you're in the trees, nice and safe..but this is great when you're on the ground cutting up.

Need to replace the plug with a garden type it feels clumsy flapping around behind you (with the mains socket)

5368.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom