• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Opteron spec

4p

4p

Soldato
The Opteron that ocuk sell looks very nice. They say its a very good overclocker too!

Can you get mATX motherboards that have Opteron compatability? I really wanna build a pc with the case from lian-li v300 i thinks :)

Soldato
You'd be better off going for a Athlon 3700+ san diego as they clock just as well, have a higher multi and are very cheap atm. :)

I believe biostar make good matx boards that clock well although ocuk dont stock them.

4p

4p

Soldato
OP
trojan698 said:
You'd be better off going for a Athlon 3700+ san diego as they clock just as well, have a higher multi and are very cheap atm. :)

I believe biostar make good matx boards that clock well although ocuk dont stock them.

Can anybody second this?

Thankyou

Associate
Well, the 144s that you were looking at (it was them I assume) do clock very well and they have all been the same stepping (CAB2E 0548). I got one 6 months ago an it hit 2.8 on air with 1.525v. I don't think the X2 3800s are doing all that well from what's been said on the relating thread.

Having said that if you are building from the ground up I'd seriously look at a Conroe platform as they're simply.....better, at virtually every price point and they only stretch their lead when overclocked.

Man of Honour
I agree with most of the comments above regarding Conroe and AM2. Although a Conroe system is looking quite expensive at the moment with high proced motherboards.

But with regards to the Opty v 3800 X2 I should point out that the Opty has 1mb cache wheras the X2 has 512kb.

Depending on whatapplication is being run this can have absolutely no effect, or quite a bit of effect. Generally it's thought to be equivalent to an extra 100mhz to 200mhz in speed. But the Opty is restricted somewhat by the low multi.

Last edited:
Caporegime
ajgoodfellow said:
If you're building a new PC then I'd get an AM2 CPU as Socket 939 is no longer in production and it's being phased out

If you're building a new PC then I'd get a conroe system.Simply because you can have the performance that beats an AMD FX 62 cpu for 135 quid.

Why buy old 90nm tech?
Why buy slower cpu's?

If you are buying a new system conroe is the way to go.
AMD is slow by comparison

Last edited:
Soldato
easyrider said:
If you're building a new PC then I'd get a conroe system.Simply because you can have the performance that beats an AMD FX 62 cpu for 135 quid.

Why buy old 95nm tech?
Why buy slower cpu's?

If you are buying a new system conroe is the way to go.
AMD is slow by comparison

who is using 95nm technology?

Back
Top Bottom