• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Conroe CPU temp ?

Soldato
i am currently using a big typhoon cpu cooler, i have overclocked my conroe to 2.8ghz and idle temps are around 42degrees, this is with my 120mm fan on quiet setting (i have a aska sonata2 case)

I am awaiting on a 120mm fan to put at the front of the case to suck in air, hopefully to help achieve lower temps, if i put the rear fan on performance the cpu temp drops to about 35 degrees :)

this is using Core Temp to record the temperatures :)

GT

Caporegime
GinG said:
i am currently using a big typhoon cpu cooler, i have overclocked my conroe to 2.8ghz and idle temps are around 42degrees, this is with my 120mm fan on quiet setting (i have a aska sonata2 case)

I am awaiting on a 120mm fan to put at the front of the case to suck in air, hopefully to help achieve lower temps, if i put the rear fan on performance the cpu temp drops to about 35 degrees :)

this is using Core Temp to record the temperatures :)

GT

Idle temps are really important tbh,Its the load temps that matter.
What temps are you getting on full load dual prime?

Caporegime
yeti said:
hi all

im trying to build a budget conroe rig for my friend and wondering if i can get away with using this cheap HSF on an overclocked conroe? Arctic Cooling Alpine 7 http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Arctic_Cooling_CPU_Coolers.html

I would not skimp on the cooling if he wishes to overclock.

Spending and extra tenner is well worth it

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler is a great cooler the one you mentioned no better than the stock intel cooler I wouldn't of thought.

Associate
OP
hey thanks for the response, i think its best to go for the freezer 7. altho it puts me overbudget even more :(

gigabyte ds3 : £90
2gb geil 5300 : £105
seagte 250gb 16mb :£53
e6300 : £115
freezer 7 hsf : £15
atec case 400w : 55
7600gt : 90 (new oem off ebay)

total inclu vat + delivery : £632.56

he said max £600 any ideas how i can take 32 off the price? the 7600gt is all i have im ordering the rest from OCUK

Last edited:
Associate
depending on your setup (especially having a case that can accomodate large heatsinks), the scythe ninja plus is a good bet and a more efficient heatsink than the freezer - but more expensive than it. The ninja is quiet even with included fan, and with a case like the Antec p180, it might even be possible to run it without the fan as the case fans are right next to it on 2 sides - see here:

Silent pc review of ninja showing picture of ninja running passively in a p180

NB make sure you read the paragraph under the picture - it explains how this setup got a 3.8ghz prescott (ie a very hot running chip) under load, cooled passively to a max of 60c, with the 2 case fans running at minimum (ie practically silent).

I say might because i am still waiting for my e6600 and i will be initially running it with the fan on the ninja. I may try without the fan if the temps with fan are not too high.

I have to say though, my current setup with a celey 2.53 (in place of the awaited core 2 duo e6600) in an asus p5w dh deluxe, 2gb ddr2-800, with a p180 case with an ati x1800xt with an artic cooling accelero cooler fitted amd an x-fi soundcard, with all case fans running on the lowest setting and the ninja fan fitted, is very, very quiet even under load and has not shown any sign of locking up. :cool:

NB:Ninja plus=ninja and a quiet 12cm fan.

Might stretch your budget too much though, esp if you consider a p180 case and have to buy a seperate PSU :(

Get some good thermal interface material eg arctic silver 5 too - will help you get a couple of degrees lower with whatever sink you choose.

Last edited:
Associate
my e6700 runs 26-28C idle at stock 33C fully loaded at stock.
When over clocked to 3.2GHz it still runs at about 28C idle and 36C fully loaded.

Using Zalman 9500AT, it is still cool but further overclocking isnt going so well

Associate
E6300 @ 3.3 with 1.4v using an AC Freezer 7 Pro, 38-40 Idle then 48-50 on load... This is with fan at 2000rpm. All in a Antec p180 case with case fans on medium!

This seem abit high? We all using coretemp for the readings? As the gigabyte utility says 28 idle 37 load... :rolleyes:

Also are people getting identical readings from both cores? core 2 on mine always seems to be 2-3 degrees higher... Maybe heatsink not sitting correctly?

Associate
e6600 idle about 29-30 after overnight dual prime 95 so im assuming that is the case temp.

100 % load dual prime 95 we are looking at 46-48C

Thats on Air using a 9500 Zalman

All stock running at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom