XBox 360 HD DVD add on drive demoed with pictures inside

Associate
198199140_2912731477.jpg

198199011_5dbeadd1a9.jpg

HERE

;)

Soldato
I can't see that being a big seller really.

Not for a while anyway, as the people fussed about HD DVD will end up getting a proper stand alone system. Perhaps if HD DVD becomes mainstream then it will do well, but I'd rather get a proper HD DVD player.

Looks quite big as well.

Permabanned
MonkeyMan said:
I can't see that being a big seller really.

Not for a while anyway, as the people fussed about HD DVD will end up getting a proper stand alone system. Perhaps if HD DVD becomes mainstream then it will do well, but I'd rather get a proper HD DVD player.

Looks quite big as well.

I think factors that will matter will include things like price of the unit (this should be cheaper than a standalone), room under the TV and connectivity to the TV - many TVs only have one HDCP compliant HDMI slot.
The most important thing of all is going to be the availability of HD discs with films on though ;)

Soldato
For the most part HD dvd and will not need a HDCP port due to the low take up of the tech and most older HD tvs not having it built in.

Give it a few years when HD tvs are mainstream then it will start being phased in

I very much doubt that MS will not be able to provide an HDCP complient cable for the 360 with regards to the HD drive. I mean when you look at the quality of the 360 then you can see that this is not an oversight that they will make.

if HD-DVDs take off, and I get an HD TV and this drive is well reviewed, and a good price, then I will probably buy one.

Soldato
Snow-Munki said:
how would it connect to the 360, USB ?

Think so. It has extra USB ports in the back of it to compensate for the one you will lose on the 360 by plugging it in, plus a space for the wireless adaptor.

At the moment I'm not sure I will buy one as my 360 will always be in the study room, rather than the lounge, so its not the ideal place to be watching movies.

Soldato
I think i'll give one a go.........providing the price is right £100-£150 should be the absolute max they charge for it.

Of course the price of HD DVD's is gonna be important as well movietyme selling American HD DVD's for about £15.99 and if thats the price over here then it isnt too bad. No doubt we'll be screwed for £20+ though.

Soldato
il hopefully be a student by then so i think il wait and see which of the formats looks more stable, i have a HD TV hooked up in my room all the time so i would get use out of it

Associate
I read they wont be making games with HD DVD mediums though because then they'd have to cater for those with as well as those without HD DVD drives in their X360s.

Associate
Kronologic said:
That is correct, it is a add on to allow you to watch HD-DVD films.

At least it's a nice little 'extra', unless it's expensive.

To be honest, I wish they'd not brought out the X360 until they could fit them with HD DVD drives for games, seems stupid.

Associate
Is it me or does that look a bit on the large size - it's almost half the size of the 360

Interesting to see what formats it supports and what the WiFi link is for - streaming HD content to the 360?

Soldato
Bond said:
Is it me or does that look a bit on the large size - it's almost half the size of the 360

Its as big as I would expect for an external optical drive with a custom case. This is a pic of when it was first unveiled...

02.jpg

Man of Honour
james.miller said:
i dont know. new tech has the tendancy to be very expensive when it debuts for the pc. just look at the bd drives.

They are BD-RW drives remember, £600, too much money, but I'd have thought DVD writers with BD / HD reading capability wouldn't cost *that* much, but I dunno.

Back
Top Bottom