• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

G Card Advice

Associate
Im currently running an AGP setup with a Radeon 9800XT but my Radeon decided to give up the ghost, what would be a good G Card to get (PCI-Express) that won't cost the earth and suit my needs.

Im not exactly an extreeme gamer nowa days i mainly play Eve-Online and Madden 2006 ( 2007 soon ) and Champ Manager. Also if people have any idea of a reasonable Motherboard with PCI-Express. i dont want to spend a lot, but i also dont want a low end solution.

Cheers :)

Soldato
BengalBoy said:
Im currently running an AGP setup with a Radeon 9800XT but my Radeon decided to give up the ghost, what would be a good G Card to get (PCI-Express) that won't cost the earth and suit my needs.

Im not exactly an extreeme gamer nowa days i mainly play Eve-Online and Madden 2006 ( 2007 soon ) and Champ Manager. Also if people have any idea of a reasonable Motherboard with PCI-Express. i dont want to spend a lot, but i also dont want a low end solution.

Cheers :)

Whats your current specs and whats your price tag preferably?

Associate
OP
hehe i thought someone might ask me for an official line.

I guess no more than say £150 for GC and Mobo but ill give or take a few quid to that.

My current setup (before it died) was

MSI K8T -
AMD Athlon XP(64)3000+ (socket 939) -
1GB 400mhz Ram 4*256MB (i can get specific details later)
Radeon 9800XT.

ummm dont think you would need the rest but just incase 2 * SATA HD's / SB Audigy 2 / PCI Wireless Card (linksys)

i think that about covers it.

P.S

after a quick look for the £ i do like the looks of

Asrock 939SLI-eSATA2 (Socket 939 & Upgradable to AM2) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-001-AK)

Is this fairly decent ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cheers, had a quick look around at some reviews, looks very nice. One concern i have though with ATI at the momment is that ive had 3 ATI's down the recent years ( 9700 / 9700 pro / 9800 XT ) and all except one have had artifact error after a period of time and 2 of them have died including my current one the 9800XT. I leave all the settings at stock so im not frying them. Have ATI got similar problems with the X800 Series or are they improved in that area ?

Thanks.

One other Q? im assuming this product would come with a DVI to Analouge adapter. I have a Samsung 19FP but with only Analouge input.

Last edited:
Soldato
BengalBoy said:
Cheers, had a quick look around at some reviews, looks very nice. One concern i have though with ATI at the momment is that ive had 3 ATI's down the recent years ( 9700 / 9700 pro / 9800 XT ) and all except one have had artifact error after a period of time and 2 of them have died including my current one the 9800XT. I leave all the settings at stock so im not frying them. Have ATI got similar problems with the X800 Series or are they improved in that area ?

Thanks.

One other Q? im assuming this product would come with a DVI to Analouge adapter. I have a Samsung 19FP but with only Analouge input.

Have owned a few ATI cards (few Nvidia ones too), no problems so far with any. Infact i gave my bro my old Sapphire 9700 & that card is still running fine.

Yes every card i have come accross that has DVI, also comes with an analogue adapter.

Back
Top Bottom