Gaming Junkie-swap time ?

Associate
Right here's the deal.

I quite regularly play online 6 hours a day (more at weekends) and speed is the key with games like DoD:S and CS, less so Guild Wars.

I am currently paying £25 per month for NTL 4 Mb cable broadband (only recently been upgraded to 4Mb mind).

I have seen a lot of offers for 8 Mb broadband and lots of them are cheaper than my NTL deal at the minute.

I have seen the Orange "max" braodband for £27 per month , but this has a wireless connection.

Can anyone recommend a good deal ?
Will the Orange wireless be as quick as direct wired (via phone line or Cable modem) ?

Soldato
Don't bother moving imho .. going to a higher maxdsl or higher speed service will not lower pings by much. If the pings are fine ... then may as well stay and avoid any hassle.

Associate
OP
The NTL network isn't the most robust either, quite often it is down (more so on a Sunday evening for some wierd reason) so I am looking for a good solid performer.

I get your point about "if it aint broken then no need to try and fix it",..I was just asking the question if I am getting the best deal I can.

£25 per month does seem a lot to pay for 4 Mb these days :confused: and given NTL's less than smooth service I got to thinking,.......

Soldato
Ahh apologies, your post just sounded like you wanted to move away from an ISP that was performing fine to a faster ISP to get better pings.

I personally am going for IDNet, but head over to www.adslguide.org ... they have a multitude of options for comparing ISP :)

Associate
OP
Cheers for the link,..will have a good look today. :cool:

One question though,..download limits, does playing games (and thier endless download/uploading) constitute "download" and count towards some of these caps (i.e. 2GB per month)??

Some nights I can get a 15 mb update for some game,...and if I am playing nearly 6 hours a day can that be classed as down loading? :confused:

EDIT: Just worked it out,....from the link,...great resource btw :)

1 hour of playing a game (CS:S) = 12MB / hour
therefore 6 hours = 72 MB

1 Week = at least 504MB (I use more of a weekend)
1 month = 4*504MB = 2016 MB /1024 (to convert to GB) = 1.97GB :eek:

Just meesing about I would exceed 2GB limits /month....never thought I would be using that much.

Last edited:
Associate
ademcg said:
Cheers for the link,..will have a good look today. :cool:

One question though,..download limits, does playing games (and thier endless download/uploading) constitute "download" and count towards some of these caps (i.e. 2GB per month)??

Some nights I can get a 15 mb update for some game,...and if I am playing nearly 6 hours a day can that be classed as down loading? :confused:

EDIT: Just worked it out,....from the link,...great resource btw

1 hour of playing a game (CS:S) = 12MB / hour
therefore 6 hours = 72 MB

1 Week = at least 504MB (I use more of a weekend)
1 month = 4*504MB = 2016 MB /1024 (to convert to GB) = 1.97GB :eek:

Just meesing about I would exceed 2GB limits /month....never thought I would be using that much.

And that's before you even download vital application updates such as those for Windows.

NTL is uncapped; if you're in an area that they supply I happen to think they're one of the cheapest suppliers even when compared to ADSL Max products.

You get unlimited broadband, with no caps for £25 pm - I'd like to see you get an unlimited package with no caps + BT line rental for under £25pm in a non LLU enabled area ;) ...

Not to mention 8mbit via MaxDSL is a theoretical maximum, you're likely to get lower speeds (I think I read that the most you could get after overheads was 7.2mbit, most people get lower than that depending on distance from exchange)

Stick with NTL if I were you :)

Soldato
Also, what do the ADSL checkers (such as Samknows) say you can get, roughly, based on your post code? You may find that the max you can get is 1.5mbit or something for all you know.

Associate
OP
All the evidence is pointing to the old adage "the grass isn't always greener"..I think I will stick to what I have,...cheers for the input guys, most appreciated ;)

Back
Top Bottom