Good areas in Glasgow

Associate
Hey, Im moving up to Glasgow in September, and need to rent somewhere to live for a few months. Having never been to Scotland let alone Glasgow Ive no idea whereabouts is a good place to live or to go etc etc. So if anyone has any recommendations for when I get up there that'd be awesome :)

Associate
west end is good, byers road area is a nice area with plenty of shops, cafes, bars and the tube is there for trips into the city centre.

Whats your budget?

Soldato
West End (kelvingrove, kelvinside, hillhead, byres road) is nicer, but more expensive, East end (dennistoun, parkhead, glasgow green, ) is a bit cheaper and not to bad, Southside, pollokshaws, cessnock, govan cheap too but and not too bad.

Associate
OP
Cool thats good stuff. Just really wanna know the places to avoid. Budget is probabaly up to around £400/month, as I'll be renting by myself so am gonna prob have to spend a bit more than I'd ideally like.

Soldato
Meh, i'd stay out of the city to be honest. West End is good, and expensive. Overall expensive and if your not in the expensive bits they're generally not very good. Have a look at outskirts as even in say Renfrew/Paisley your generally only a 10min train ride from the city and you get a lot more bang for your £400

Associate
1pudding1 said:
Cool thats good stuff. Just really wanna know the places to avoid. Budget is probabaly up to around £400/month, as I'll be renting by myself so am gonna prob have to spend a bit more than I'd ideally like.
Avoid :

Possil, Milton, Drumchapel, Shettleston, Easterhouse.....the list goes on :)

Soldato
Al-Ectrician said:
Avoid :

Possil, Milton, Drumchapel, Shettleston, Easterhouse.....the list goes on :)

I did some work in Possil Park and Easterhouse, and even during the day i was petrified. It's like a 3rd world country.

Associate
I live in the West End - great for nightlife, closeness to centre etc but not exactly cheap! Used to live in Paisley and as mentioned you'd get more bang for your buck - good train links to Glasgow etc - plenty of places to avoid there as well of course.

In Glasgow I would avoid Cessnock, Govan, Easterhouse, Pollock etc etc etc

Associate
I lived in Yorkhill for about 4.5 years - where the new flats were built in 2000. This is not too far (only 1 minute) from Byres Road, and the nearest Undergrounds (Kelvinhall and Partick). You can also try renting a flat in Partick (next to Yorkhill). Should be in your budget range - I'm sure there are people who are letting. Also not far from City Centre.

Places to go:

1) Nightlife: If you have a uni card, go to the unions and dance with the gals (and/or guys). Go to Blanket, Destiny, etc.
Go to Byres Road, go and see the sights e.g. Kelvingrove Art Gallery, etc.
Go and visit round Glasgow, it will be an experience. At night, you might want backup if you go to shifty places.... :rolleyes:

Soldato
As mentioned.....The West End, Partick, Kelvinside, Kelvingrove....With newer areas popping up like Glasgow Harbour.....It's a recent development with swanky apartments but i'd say their probably out your price range at £400pm.....You'd be looking more at the £550+ mark ....

The Southside is probably a good bet, Shawlands, Battlefield, Cathcart and Mount Florida.....Nice areas at prices more in your range.....Also Shawlands is good for nightlife......Very similar to Partick (with less student grants)

On the outskirts of Glasgow.....Maybe look at Rutherglen, Cambuslang or a bit further a field with East Kilbride (if you drive)

Like all big bad citys.....We have our bad areas......That have been mentioned above :p

:)

Soldato
try my local area barlanark :)

lovely area nice and quiet.

cheapo as well due to its proximity to easterhouse 2 min walk to garrowhill station and then 10 mins into town and by cheap i mean REALLY cheap

Tru

Tru

Soldato
What would the damage be on a flat around Queens park area? I'm looking at relocating and Glasgow's the strong favourite. One or two bedroom places, I like those old tenements.

Soldato
Tru said:
What would the damage be on a flat around Queens park area? I'm looking at relocating and Glasgow's the strong favourite. One or two bedroom places, I like those old tenements.

To rent?......I'd reckon 2 bedroom would be around the £450-500 range

I'm right next door to Queens Park.....I'm rent free though.....Folks upped sticks and moved to near Dunoon....Left me this place :D

Tru

Tru

Soldato
KennyBhoy said:
To rent?......I'd reckon 2 bedroom would be around the £450-500 range

I'm right next door to Queens Park.....I'm rent free though.....Folks upped sticks and moved to near Dunoon....Left me this place :D

You lucky swine. :D I was staying with a mate down on Albert Road, I could happily live there, plenty of bars on the Pollockshaws road. ;)

Soldato
Prices for buying are daft again and rising, not sure if the Clyde redevelopment is partly to blame but Partick is very expensive now for what you get. I think it's having a knock-on effect to Whiteinch (lots of redevlopment/building of flats), Scotstoun, Yoker, etc. My one-bedroom flat in Yoker has risen about £5K-£10K in value in the five years I've had it and that's not a very good location.

Semi-decent area to live is also to consider Anniesland/Bearsden. Can be expensive as you move towards Bearsden (that posh bit of Glasgow ;) ) but Anniesland is very good for public transport/shops.

Avoid Yoker at all costs. Loads of noise from shipyard/building work and generally deprived area so loads of neds. Wish I knew that before buying a flat there. :(

Associate
£400pm won't get you much on your own. If you are willing to share it will get you quite a lot.

I live in Dennistoun and although the local facilities are lacking it is only a 15 min walk into the city centre and is quite a bit cheaper.
My parents live in Renfrew and my gran is in Paisley. AVOID BOTH!!!

The south side is OK and if you get near a train station you will only be 10 mins into the city.
Student dominated areas like Byres Road and the city centre will have inflated prices.

Back
Top Bottom