gigabyte 965p ds4 wont boot

Associate
Russian_Hitman said:
*sigh* so the ds4 + G.Skill 2GB DDR2 NR PC2-6400 (2x1GB) CAS5 Dual Channel Kit definetly ... WONT WORK?

So i should swap my ram in my order first thing before they ship it >_<

It should work, the problems people are having are that when overclocking the RAM sets itself to CAS 3 meaning the RAM cant reach decent speeds, just running the setup @ stock or using a divider to run the RAM slower shouild be ok. And the problem has been fixed on the DQ6 by the latest beta BIOS so i'm sure will soon be fixed on the DS3 \ DS4 too.

Associate
Russian_Hitman said:
ahhh good to hear as i just got the shipping notice through :O

*does the new pc dance*

If I can understand this correct, then its that people have this ram and board but it overclocks the memory and you can get into the bios to change it without having other ram that works to flash to the fixed bios or something :confused:

:)

Associate
PieL said:
It should work, the problems people are having are that when overclocking the RAM sets itself to CAS 3 meaning the RAM cant reach decent speeds, just running the setup @ stock or using a divider to run the RAM slower shouild be ok. And the problem has been fixed on the DQ6 by the latest beta BIOS so i'm sure will soon be fixed on the DS3 \ DS4 too.
Right now im geting confused :confused:

So i will be able to get my system up and runing with DS4 and G.Skill 2GB DDR2 NR PC2-6400 at stock speeds but not be able to overclock it?

I though i would just not be able to boot at all with G.Skill 2GB DDR2 NR PC2-6400 and DS4.

Associate
R3323 said:

So i will be able to get my system up and runing with DS4 and G.Skill 2GB DDR2 NR PC2-6400 at stock speeds but not be able to overclock it?

I though i would just not be able to boot at all with G.Skill 2GB DDR2 NR PC2-6400 and DS4.

From what i've understood from my experiences with my DQ6 using G.Skill NR RAM and several topics about the DS3 & 4.

All the Gigabyte boards (DS3, 4 and DQ6) seem to have BIOS issues whereby G.Skill (and maybe some other brands) RAM sets itself to CAS 3 by default and switches to this no matter what it is set to in the BIOS.

Now the NR RAM is CAS5 when running at 800MHz so obviously when the board sets it to CAS 3 there are some stability issues and also non booting issues. Due to the RAM struggling.

I personally had the CAS3 problem with my NR RAM and DQ6 but since upgrading to the latest F3a BIOS the problem has gone and it's now happily set to CAS5 800MHz.

As the problem has been fixed on the DQ6 i'd expect a similar fix on theDS3 and 4 pretty soon.

So its not that the G.Skill RAM wont work just that its forced to run at CAS3 meaning it wont reach any sort of decent speed.

Associate
R3323 said:

I'm not overclocking my G.skill NR PC2-6400 on my DS4. Chance would be a fine thing - I can't get into the BIOS as I can't even get it to POST with that memory, right from first setup and startup.

However, I just got myself a cheap 256mb stick of Kingston PC2-4200 (DR533) and that works fine... i won't be able to do much with that beyond getting XP setup on my system but at least I know all my other kit is working okay and it's not a dead CPU as I was worried it was! Hopefully gigabyte will sort the problem out soon, though i might try and see if I can change the settings manually and put the G.skill back in.

Associate
PieL said:
From what i've understood from my experiences with my DQ6 using G.Skill NR RAM and several topics about the DS3 & 4.

All the Gigabyte boards (DS3, 4 and DQ6) seem to have BIOS issues whereby G.Skill (and maybe some other brands) RAM sets itself to CAS 3 by default and switches to this no matter what it is set to in the BIOS.

Now the NR RAM is CAS5 when running at 800MHz so obviously when the board sets it to CAS 3 there are some stability issues and also non booting issues. Due to the RAM struggling.

I personally had the CAS3 problem with my NR RAM and DQ6 but since upgrading to the latest F3a BIOS the problem has gone and it's now happily set to CAS5 800MHz.

As the problem has been fixed on the DQ6 i'd expect a similar fix on theDS3 and 4 pretty soon.

So its not that the G.Skill RAM wont work just that its forced to run at CAS3 meaning it wont reach any sort of decent speed.

How does one update the BIOS if one can't even POST? ;)

I know, I know... I can do it with some other memory plugged in.

Associate
Russian_Hitman said:
So im going to get a board tomorow... i cant use. great. :(

Sorry mate. I'm really gutted too. I have been so excited since I put my order in early Friday morning. Right now I'm sitting typing this on a noisy old Dell Optiplex GX150 with a 1ghz Pentium3, 256mb RAM and GM815 integrated graphics... when I should be hacking and slashing my way through Oblivion with all the eye candy turned up to 12!!! I can't even play Morrowind on this P.O.S!!!! :mad:

Associate
martianrobot said:
I'm not overclocking my G.skill NR PC2-6400 on my DS4. Chance would be a fine thing - I can't get into the BIOS as I can't even get it to POST with that memory, right from first setup and startup.

However, I just got myself a cheap 256mb stick of Kingston PC2-4200 (DR533) and that works fine... i won't be able to do much with that beyond getting XP setup on my system but at least I know all my other kit is working okay and it's not a dead CPU as I was worried it was! Hopefully gigabyte will sort the problem out soon, though i might try and see if I can change the settings manually and put the G.skill back in.
Well i have just got some of the same kingston ram so i should be able to get the system up and runing but the ram will cause a huge bottle neck with a x1800xt and E6300.
hopefully there will be a bios update asap that will allow every one to use there preferd ram.

Associate
No seems your right just read supported list for DS3 and there are cas 5 on there.
So your ram defo works on DS3 out of the box as i need to change my ram and the only ram OC's sell that is on the supported list is the GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC5300 667MHz which i would not have thought was as good as your ram or my gskill ( i may be wrong)

Associate
stu.artd said:
My Corsair XMS2 6400C5 runs OK and I don't think it's doing CAS3.

what mobo are you running that in? is it the DS4?

I see you posted earlier that you "have a Pentium D 805 in there just now so the RAM is only running at 533 instead of 800."

Perhaps that is the reason why it is working... be interesting to know what would happen if you had a CoreDuo2 cpu in there.

Soldato
Damn! I'm getting worried now as i ordered similar stuff.

I got the DS3 with G.skill 2GB DDR2 LA PC2-5400.

Will i have problems, please say no! :(

Back
Top Bottom