linksys WRT54GS probs

Permabanned
a m8 of mine cant play games on the net and is getting dc a lot.

his about to splash out on a brand spanking new dlink "gaming router" which i thinks pointless.

he's using the following

linksys WRT54GS which he connects to an adsl modem
and he's using a Belkin 54Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Network Adapter to connect from his pc to his router.

i dont know s*** all about this sort of stuff and naw does he so i thought id ask you boys. would apreciate any feedback, thanx

Caporegime
In what way is he getting disconnected - from the internet or from the network (ie the wireless adapter loses the connection)? Is it the same wired to the router? Is it the same without the router there?

Splashing the cash without going through some kind of troubleshooting process certainly is pointless.

Permabanned
OP
he says he gets lag bursts. then gets dc from servers, not from the net i dont think.

his mate who lives next door connected to his router using a pci card and says it did the exactly the same thing

Associate
Actually i have one of these wireless routers and have january's firmware installed(1 50.5) on it and i have downloaded a newer firmware version (1 50.8) but its from the u.s site not the uk site. Should i not upgrade to the u.s firmware file or should it be fine?. If not ill leave it alone, just wasnt sure if the firmware file being u.s or eu matters or not.

Associate
Well i only play on xboxlive for online games and thats rarely these days and dont play anything online on pc anymore. Two odd years ago though i used to play quake 3 arena a lot on the pc and at night times id get "lag spikes" where my ping would fluctuate and found after ringing ntl(thats another long painfull story i dont want to go into!!!.) that playing at peak times..(i.e. in the early evening..) was affecting my own internet connection somewhat. So they had to do some local work on the local servers after awhile and rebalance the local area network or somit like that etc.

Permabanned
OP
well hes just bought a new router, netgear WGR614 and its giving him the exact same problems

if any, what settings do you think could possibly be cuasing the lag spikes and high pings

he has 1mb broadband

Back
Top Bottom