REVO 5 hour trial

Associate
Evening all,

I've just had the 5 hour REVO trial installed and have been driving around for an hour or so. However, it's still very hesitant when it gets over 3,500revs in pretty much any gear. Does this sort itself out? I can tell it's very eager! but it just doesn't seem to deliver at the moment :(

Anyone had this experience?

Permabanned
the thing is, they've just chucked it in! Its not remotely set up, each application is individual regardless if its the same engine. Fuel used, etc, it all matters.

Dont let this put you off. Given your car to set up they wont let you down, and you'll need to explain any niggles to them. They usually come up gold in rectifying it. They have an exceptional reputation, they'll want to make sure they live up to it.

Nem

Nem

Associate
I've heard a bit of bad press about revo recently. The trial software they load does not completly remove itself at the end of the 5 hours. This has caused problelms if you wanted to have another map loaded from another company, who then have to fully erase the ecu first before loading on their own map.

It's has also been suggested that at the end of the 5 hours the map takes the car down lower than the standard map was giving the impression that the map made more difference than it actually did.

The 225 TT goes up to 260ish with the trial and has then been dyno'd at only 200ish after the trial has ended.

Nick

Permabanned
AFAIK, they set a car up on the rollers with quite a few runs. Not sure they've done this here as it wouldnt really be worth it just to remove it again after 5 hours

Associate
The revo can cause your dv to split, I had this problem when I had it first installed. Do you know anyone with Vagcom? That or go back to your dealer and get them to scan for faults.

Associate
Same as some of the guys here have said, Revo have been taking a bashing on a lof of VAG forums due to the problem people are having after the trial is over with the car being sluggish and down on power. One reply was the map was so good it's placebo, until some guys proved it all with dyno runs as stated above.

When I looked into the map for my 1.8T all I got was don't bother with generic maps and go custom map, which I ended up driving 12hr round drive too get from Jabba.

Associate
OP
Randell Floyd said:
When I looked into the map for my 1.8T all I got was don't bother with generic maps and go custom map, which I ended up driving 12hr round drive too get from Jabba.

How much was the Jabba remap? REVO isn't exactly cheap at £400+vat :\

Associate
OP
Nem said:
It's has also been suggested that at the end of the 5 hours the map takes the car down lower than the standard map was giving the impression that the map made more difference than it actually did.

That's quite scary to know :( I've got the money for a chip now so it's just a matter of deciding who to go with. I'm hearing bad things about REVO from other places aswell, so it looks like either Upsolute or Jabba.

Nem

Nem

Associate
Coupe to consider are AMD which are expensive but will be very good, also APS are a new company in Brackley wo are also doing good maps form what I'm told.

I've got the APR on mine, but I'm not over impressed, going on the graphs from my dyno run recently compared to the same cars with APS and AMD maps on.

Nick

Associate
Simmy said:
That's quite scary to know :( I've got the money for a chip now so it's just a matter of deciding who to go with. I'm hearing bad things about REVO from other places aswell, so it looks like either Upsolute or Jabba.

I've had Revo on my 1.8T for over 3 years now and the only problem I had was the with the dv splitting when I first had it installed. It can be tweaked by your dealer or via an sps controller for varying boost levels, petrol type etc in the same way AMD or Jabba will 'customise' your map.

At the end of the day you may be buying an 'off the shelf map' but it can be customised, has a huge dealer network and has had more money invested in the research and development than any of the independents.

Soldato
Have Revo on my ibiza, very pleased with it.

Jabba maps aren't custom though :o

Its pretty much a generic map with a few tweaks for fueling etc :p

Soldato
Simmy said:
Evening all,

I've just had the 5 hour REVO trial installed and have been driving around for an hour or so. However, it's still very hesitant when it gets over 3,500revs in pretty much any gear. Does this sort itself out? I can tell it's very eager! but it just doesn't seem to deliver at the moment :(

Anyone had this experience?

What petrol you using with the trial??

Associate
OP
I put optimax into a basically empty tank this evening.

Just went out for another hours blast and it has improved a lot. Although it's trying to put too much boost too fast, through 1st, 2nd and 3rd it seems, and they just can't cope. 4th and 5th however are more gradual and the boost is nice and smooth :cool: Hopefully something they would sort out in the full map. However towards the end of the cruise just now, it started to get a bit choppy again. I'll speak to the guy at powermap and see what he reacons.

Soldato
What You mean by trying to put too much boost and gears cant cope.

Elaborate :D

Also did they clear your adaptations after the revo trial remap was put on.

Associate
OP
I'll try :p I don't mean the gears can't cope. I mean 4th and 5th gears are longer, so it takes longer to get to higher revs and the boost is nice and smooth :cool: But if you floor it in 1st/2nd/3rd it will rev a lot quicker, however it doesn't accelerate smoothly. It hesitates, tries to get somewhere, hesitates some more, til you eventually have to change gear. It's like it's getting more boost than it knows how to cope with.

It's hard to explain really :\ Does that make any sense?!

Last edited:
Soldato
You really need to find someone with vag com to check your car for you.

Theres so many things it could be, it may be something wrong on the car and the revo trial has made the problem worse so your noticing it more.

Or it may just be a problem with the revo trial itself.

Back
Top Bottom