Anyone know about rifle scopes

Soldato
I just picked up my air rifle and had a look down the scope but the crosshairs are slightly rotated, so instead of looking like this
correct.gif

they look like this
wrong.gif

The scope is a Simmons if that makes a difference, anyone know if this can be adjusted or is it broken?

Soldato
OP
malc30 said:
Dismantle + Fix + Reassemble.

^^^^^ Rocket science it is not. :p

I don't like fiddling with stuff like that, think I'll take it to a gunshop, I've tried rotating all the dials and turny things on the scope but they're for focusing the crosshair and adjusting windage and stuff. I'll take some pics in a sec.

Soldato
Assuming the scope has just moved...

There should be 1 or 2 ring mounts holding the scope in place. These usually require an L key to undo, you don't need to completely undo the mounts, just enough so the scope can move.

You may have to do this some time anyway as the scope may not be in the right position for you, every shooter has there preferences.

Associate
Sirrel Squirrel said:
about 100ft or so, it does seem to be accurate with the scope like that but it's just annoying

Fair enough, I was going to suggest removing it but at 100ft there is not much point - I shoot at about 30ft with no scope, just good old ironsights :)

Soldato
Your scope should be positioned so that the turrets are directly above and at 90o as your holding the rifle and looking at the scope. If it is like this and the crosshair is at an angle then the crosshair has moved due to recoil. The crosshair is made of very very thin aluminum foil and is fitted into a small frame that is then screwed into the scope, if you even touch it it will snap. To repair it you need to send it off to Simmons as the scope is sealed and filled with nitrogen to stop it fogging up.

You could just move the scope in the mounts to square up the crosshair but this is not a long term solution as the zero will shift if the crosshair isn't tight.

Ive never had this happen to my Simmons scope but it happened to my very first scope mounted to a B2 lol.

Mark

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, I'll check the mounts because the scope was perfect, I then let my friend borrow the rifle and this is the first time I've looked down the scope since getting it back to find the crosshair tilted, I also let him borrow my other rifle with scope and that one has also tilted, my friend remains adament that he didn't do it but both scopes have been fine for how ever many years I've had them, he borrows them for a weekend and they come back crooked, hmm...

Associate
Sirrel Squirrel said:
Thanks guys, I'll check the mounts because the scope was perfect, I then let my friend borrow the rifle and this is the first time I've looked down the scope since getting it back to find the crosshair tilted, I also let him borrow my other rifle with scope and that one has also tilted, my friend remains adament that he didn't do it but both scopes have been fine for how ever many years I've had them, he borrows them for a weekend and they come back crooked, hmm...

sounds like you've found a new target to test the scopes on...

:p

Associate
Just out of interest....
My Company is a distributor in the UK for 'Simmons' Scopes as well as the 'Weaver' & 'Redfield' brands.

We import and distribute to gun dealers etc. Did you buy your scope in the UK? What type is it exactly? Do you have your warranty card still as Simmons are covered by a limited lifetime warranty.

Cheers,

Folk

Soldato
Get the rifle, aim down the scope at your mate, say "i know you borked my rifle!"

"but i'm not gonna shoot you" ..."i'm just gonna...." then hit him with the butt of it, then steal his wallet for repairs!

*laughs in an evil tone*

seriously just remount them :)

Soldato
Sirrel Squirrel said:
Chances are it's your mate that is the inherant problem, not your scope :rolleyes:
Assuming the tube itself has not moved in the mounting rings, RTM - as already said if you open it up yourself whatever gas (nitrogen usually) keeps it from fogging up in the damp will be lost.
Bummer. Perhaps you could get your 'mate' to pay your postage costs?

Soldato
there should be a bit at the end of the scope what you can twist so that where the sight goes in parts so you can ajust/change sights

thats how it works on my .22 rifles anyway

Back
Top Bottom