damn housemates!

Suspended
Theres currently myself and 2 other living in our house. One of the lads has not turned up yet after neally a month and he has decided that he will not be staying with us this year. One of the two (his mate) has also decided to move back home because of this.

They have both signed the contract for a full year so how does it work? Will they need to find 2 people to replace them and start paying rent otherwise they will need to carry on paying rent?

:mad:

Associate
Depends on the contract basically. If they are individually responsible, then they will have to find replacements. If you are all jointly responsible, then it may be up to you...

Associate
Samtheman1k said:
Depends on the contract basically. If they are individually responsible, then they will have to find replacements. If you are all jointly responsible, then it may be up to you...
With join responsibility technically you're all liable for the full rent, but unless you have a idiot of a landlord/estate agent generally they will persue the people who have moved out.

If its individual contracts you're fine!

Associate
I wish one of my future housemates would do this, he's a pain in the backside.

Basically they are under to contract to pay rent, so I don't think you need to worry about that, but I think finding a replacement will be a joint thing.

Maybe thats a good think, at least you could take some time trialling people for someone you want (whilst your old housemate pays rent) and appreciate the extra space fornow.

toose

Associate
Individual contracts: no problem, they're responsible.

Shared contract: probably no more difficult either. They're as equally responsible as you are so will still need to fund it or find replacements. The downside is that it means you could be living with weirdos who you don't know.

Associate
Blackstar_solar said:
With join responsibility technically you're all liable for the full rent, but unless you have a idiot of a landlord/estate agent generally they will persue the people who have moved out.

If its individual contracts you're fine!

Actually thats a good point, my contract for instance is a joint on specifying that all four of us have to come up with £xxx sum - but I'm sure you could put some real pressure on the ones leaving to cough up until you find a replacement.

I'm not sure how it works regarding responsibility if all of your names are on the contract, if they give you £1 does that count as something or is it equal?

EDIT: (Just saw post above) glad to see I'm not the only one ;)

Associate
Johnny Girth said:
Shared contract: probably no more difficult either. They're as equally responsible as you are so will still need to fund it or find replacements.
That's not actually true, if they refuse to pay and say disappear, i.e. neither you nor the landlord know where to find them, then the landlord could take you to court for the whole wack!

Suspended
OP
vonhelmet said:
Find some more housemates asap. You'll probably find you're liable to pick up your former housemates' share of the rent.

What if me and my mate also decided to move out then? instead of being left with the burden of the other 2

Suspended
OP
Blackstar_solar said:
That's not actually true, if they refuse to pay and say disappear, i.e. neither you nor the landlord know where to find them, then the landlord could take you to court for the whole wack!

and if we leave aswell?

Permabanned
Blackstar_solar said:

If this happens I suggest you disappear as well!

Associate
geeza said:
Ive paid him up to date, so has my mate

Again, it depends on the contract. If it says you will pay £XXX per month until July 2007 (or whenever) and don't pay him until July 2007, then you are in breach of contract, and he will come looking for his money.

The only way out of it is if it says you can terminate the contract, with, say 1 months notice. If you then moved out now, you would still be liable for 1 extra months rent.

Back
Top Bottom