cant believe things in the IT world are this bad

Permabanned
£12,000 - £16,000 pa

city of london

1st / 2nd Line Helpdesk / Desktop Support opportunity for someone with at least a basic knowledge of Windows 2000 / 2003, XP. Whilst ideal candidates will have 1 yrs + experience the client is prepared to consider either a Junior or recent Graduate.

Associate
For a junior postion I would say it's to be expected, though in London with a salary as low as that you'd have very little left after expenses

OT/ are you still playing about with my PIX or are you done, as I was thinking of putting it to another use

Soldato
Normal wage for that experience requirement, especially if it's not a graduate position.

Location for that wage sucks though. I'd only take a job like that if I was living with parents or in Scotland where living expenses is usually a lot cheaper.

Soldato
crashuk said:
£12,000 - £16,000 pa

city of london

1st / 2nd Line Helpdesk / Desktop Support opportunity for someone with at least a basic knowledge of Windows 2000 / 2003, XP. Whilst ideal candidates will have 1 yrs + experience the client is prepared to consider either a Junior or recent Graduate.

That was the starting pay for my first IT job 6 years ago as a junior in Scotland where wages are generally a bit lower and cost of living is far lower than in England. I'd have expected it to be £15,000 - £18,000 at least in London, that's pretty shocking even for a junior/pleb post :eek:

Permabanned
Thats a perfectly reasonable salary.

Firstly, 1st/2nd line supprt will be basically dealing with the 80% of easily fixable problems, which will all be well documented; 'If user has problem X, perform procedure Y'

Its not exactly suitable for a trained money, but its not far off.

Secondly, there are a hell of a lot of areas near the City that are dirt cheap to live in.

Thirdly, companies will pay what they can get away with, if they can find someone suitable to do the job for that money (and they will, be in no doubt about that), then why should they offer more?

Fourthly, to extrapolate from one job advert to the entire 'IT world' is fallacious reasoning in the extreme.

Apart from those things though, your post was 100% correct......

Suspended
SiD the Turtle said:
First line peeps often get the rough end as it either minimum wage here or outsource them to another country.

or get some experience and look for a job that requires it, as it will pay more. (At least thats what I found when I emailed somone about a job) they required 1years experience at least and 1 years ex pay was around 15k, 2 years was around 18k (thats in leeds though, not london)

Soldato
crashuk said:
£12,000 - £16,000 pa

city of london

Thats bad for London, after you've paid the train fair theres little left.

Outside London that is to be expected IMO.

Soldato
I recently applyed for a job, 12k they wanted someone with a degree and atleast one years exp in support/systems etc.
I was in an intervew with over 15 other people for this one job, all degrees, all looking for jobs and would be happy with 12k.
the markets saturated atm, employers think (know) they can get away with paying us peanuts as theres always someone who's willing to take the job no matter how low the pay is.

Back
Top Bottom